Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a thought about peppers

Posted by sand_mueller z 7a, oklahoma (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 18:10

had noticed for the last three years that my main pepper crops, bell and anaheim, wouldn't grow a full size pepper with any of the early fruiting, but the peppers coming just before frost were big and meaty. I thought that this was heat related, but now am wondering if these peppers, being tender perennials have needed more maturity to form their best peppers, and if so I plan to have several ready to go into the fall greenhouse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a thought about peppers

Sand, I bet you're right. My peppers never really come into their own until late summer; well, actually Chile Rayado sometimes comes on strong in July and Frank's Thai Hot, which has small fruit, is so early that I bet I could direct seed it in the garden and make a crop. But larger fruited peppers need time to grow a larger plant to support their fruit.

Great picture of your green house!

By the way, folks, Sand is an expert on compost and green houses and raises seedlings of tomatoes and peppers, for sale, here in Tahlequah.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

If you are putting it into the fall greenhouse, does that means you are starting it in the fall so they will be big next spring?

Last year I planted Quadrato D'Asti Rosso Pepper that I started mid-February (these are large bells) and got a good harvest in the beginning of the summer but it's second round of fruit at the end of summer didn't have time to completely ripen before the first frost. This year I started them a couple of weeks earlier and some of them are starting to put out flower buds. They grow so much slower then other veggies I do think they need more time to mature.

Cynthia

o

I'll either grow a few in buckets or if I can get the bed ready inside, will plant them from among the starts I've got going now. Normally greenhouses are too hot or too shaded to do much good in the summer. My all glass house should open up enough to allow minimal excess heat build-up, while allowing enough sunlight for the crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here