Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that Grass, Please!

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:13

I have this grass everywhere. The only thing I can say good about it is, that the birds seem to love it. I had dozens of what looked like Finch all over my lawn today. Other birds seem to like it also. It has a very thick root system, but does not go very deep. It gives me more problems than Bermuda.

Thanks, Larry

photo DSCN1711_zps301e0516.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that Grass, Please!

I can't zoom in very clearly, but it looks a bit like Dallis grass. Do you have a closer pic of the seed head?

o

Not dallisgrass. looks like bluegrass

Here is a link that might be useful: bluegrass

o

Its not the Dallisgrass I have had before.

Trying to go back 60+ years, I am thinking we called it chicken grass or wire grass, but that is a long time for this old mind to go back, and that may not have been the name of it then.

I tried to take a closer picture.

Larry

photo DSCN1713_zpse0ca8f41.jpg

o

It does look like the Bluegrass link, but its not blue.

o

o

doesn't look like chick grass

Here is a link that might be useful: chickgrass

o

Oh, yes, definitely not dallis grass. I was thinking this might be a little early for it, too.

o

sorry I couldn't resist the previous post.
Here is a link that helps identify grasses, weeds, sedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: identify weeds

o

It's not wiregrass, but more than that I can't say.

o

Thanks everyone. It looks to be Bluegrass. I have heard of Bluegrass all my life and never knew what it looked like.

Busy1, I sure am glad its not Chick grass, every time I would mow I would have feathers all over the highway and buzzards on my lawn eating my clippings.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:30

Same here...there's bluegrass in the yard outside and I had no idea what it was (annual)

o

Name that grass? I'll call it 'Fred,' then

Tell Fred I said, 'Hey!'

o

An old alfalfa farmer I know calls it Smooth Brome, not sure if that is spelled right. He always says its his favorite grass besides alfalfa.
Kim

o

Larry I showed it to my friend and he said that's not smooth brome it looks like wild oats. I don't know about either one but just passing that along.
kim

o

We had it in Texas and we have it here. Neil Sperry always called it poa annua when callers to his radio show described it and he ID'd it for them, so I've always known it as poa annual and never knew that poa annua was blue grass. I guess I could have looked up poa annua to learn its common name, but never did.

I like it because it greens up early and I can pull it up and throw it onto the compost piles with the chopped and shredded leaves from the fall. The poa annua, when added to those chopped and shredded leaves, add enough nitrogen to get the compost cooking in the late winter and early spring. What's not to like about that?

I should add I pull it up from garden beds, and I just leave it alone in the yard because it will get mowed down along with everything else.

o

Dawn, I don't pull it up in the lawn either. The roots are very thick and always pull out a small clump of soil with the plant. My soil is very thin and I have none to loose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here