Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato shade tolerance by variety

Posted by Julie717 6b OK (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 19:17

I'm planting my tomatoes tomorrow or maybe Sunday, and trying to decide how to arrange them in the bed. They will be in a straight line from east to west, the location is sunny but it starts to be shaded in late afternoon, around 4pm in the summer. The shade then moves down the row from west to east. So I want to know which of these varieties would prefer/tolerate more shade:

Tommy Toes cherry--this will have to be at one end because of it's size, I'm thinking the sunniest end?
Sioux-I'm thinking this also will be at the sunnier end, since it takes the heat so well?
Cherokee Purple
Yellow 1884 Pinkheart (yellow)
Royal Hillbilly (pink/purple)

It may not even matter that much, but if it does I want to get it right since I only have 5 plants. Thanks everybody.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Whoops-the cherry should take most shade?

OK, now I've done a little more searching and I guess the cherry would do best on the shadiest end? So with Sioux on the sunniest end, maybe I don't need to be picky with the other three?

o
RE: Tomato shade tolerance by variety

Julie, You pretty much answered your own question. Cherries ripen fruit better in shade than plants that produce full-sized tomatoes.

I don't think you have to worry at all if they are going to get sun until 4 p.m. In our hot climate, tomatoes produce just fine as long as they get 6 to 8 hours of sunlight. In fact, tomatoes I've grown that get only 6 to 8 hours of direct sun often perform better in July and August than tomato plants that get 10 to 12 hours or more of sunlight. In many parts of the country the plants probably do need sun all-day-long, but in our brutally hot climate, some shade---especially in mid-day to late afternoon seems to help them more than it hurts them.

Dawn

o
RE: Tomato shade tolerance by variety

Thanks, Dawn. I wish I could give them a little more shade, but my back yard is almost shade-free except for the deep shade on the north side of the house, or morning shade which they don't need. There is a tall privet hedge on the west end, which is the shade for the tomatoes, but no trees at all. And that area is too narrow to put the tomatoes facing east.

They'd probably do best on the east side of the house, but I am not brave enough to put a bunch of tomato cages in the front yard:) I might try to figure out some way to put up a shade cloth or something when it gets hotter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here