Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Garlic galore

mulberryknob
11 years ago

Several years ago we planted both regular and elephant garlic around several fruit trees. It did what garlic does and yesterday DH decided to dig a lot of it out. In a couple hours he had a construction wheelbarrow mounded up.

As he was digging I was weeding in the garden and as I smelled the garlic I remembered something that happened when I was a little girl. My grandfather, who gave me my first start of his garlic over 40 years ago, loved garlic. In the spring he would butter a piece of bread, go to the garden, pull and clean a couple slender garlic stalks, wrap them in the bread and have a garlic sandwich. My brother and I thought that anything Grampa ate had to be delicous, so we follwed suit. One day after a visit to their house, we were in the car with our parents heading back to our garlicless home when Dad asked, "How many garlic sandwichs did you kids eat anyway? You absolutely reek!" My brother answered, "We only had a couple. You're probably smelling the garlic Grampa dug for us to take home. I put it under your seat."

The elephant garlic was so huge that DH and I decided to clean, chop and freeze the tender white bases. So this evening I have 8 full pints of chopped garlic in the freezer. That should last until we dig the storage garlic later on.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths