Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended Flowering Vines

Posted by bevkat Oklahoma (Zone 7) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 20:04

I am a new homeowner and subsequently, a new gardener. I've got a flower bed that borders a dog run and I would like to have a flowering vine of some type to plant along the fence. Unfortunately, it seems that the vines that I'm drawn to are more of the tropical variety - bougainvillea, mandevillia, etc. - and tend not to do well when planted during the winter.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a pretty, flowering vine that I don't have to worry about bringing into the house during the winter that will come back year after year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended Flowering Vines

I should add that the bed is in full sun.

o

I would plant lots of clematis and you don't have to bring it inside.

This belongs to my neighbor but is between our houses and this was in it's 2nd year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

o

Ohh, that's pretty! I've wanted to plant a purple clematis and a yellow climbing rose together for a few years now. I haven't gotten there yet.

o

I like Morning Glories. You plant the seeds and it reseeds itself year after year. They bloom in the morning and then close. The blooms bloom only one day, but they have lots of blooms. Hummingbirds and butterflies love them.

o

Remember that clematis demands (I suppose there are exceptions) cool feet. In the heat of Oklahoma it looks rather sorry compared to what it will do in milder climes unless you can protect its roots from the heat (think Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, northern California).

If you want something simple--as opposed to complicated cultivation--then do morning glory and moonflower seeds. There are some magnificent varieties of them. They are low maintenance, thrive in the heat, require little water. If you do pamper them they will respond like you wouldn't believe (or oops! rebel and die!).

The simplest variety are the blues. If you want exotic, consider the Picotee morning glory or the purple moonflowers (google "purple moonflower" for sources).

Other vines are more complex, and probably wouldn't respond to a kennel run as well.

Good luck in your selection!

--Robert

o

You could always go with honeysuckle, trumpet vine, or akebia - but all of those can be invasive and fast growing unless you really keep them trimmed. Each of those would take a lot of neglect and abuse - might be a good quality for around a dog run.

o

Sweet Autumn Clematis is a perrenial clematis that is hardier than the spring types. Some of them selfseed but mine never has. Carolina Jessamine is a tough perrenial, with fragrant yellow flowers in the spring. Mine is blooming now.

If you just want summer shade, then the morning glories, moonflower or cypress vines--although these latter have fine foliage--should serve. Or what about blackeyed susan vine?

o

Selecting a plant to place near a dog run can be harder than it sounds. You've had some great recommendations, but I'd like to suggest that before you plant anything near the dog run, that you research it to see if it is considered poisonous to dogs. Many plants are. Of course, maybe your dogs aren't chewers, but some of mine will chew anything they can get their teeth on and others don't really chew on plants as far as I know.

As far as I know, coral honeysuckle and American cross vine are not toxic to dogs. Moonflower vine is in the morning glory family Ipomea), and morning glories are on the Toxic Plant List.

I'm not trying to complicate the process of selecting a vine, but just would hate for something to happen if your dogs like to chew on plants....

I've linked the ASPCA's list of plants considered toxic to dogs. If you read far enough down the list, you'll get to the plants known to be non-toxic to dogs.

I grow annuals on my dog yard fence....winter squash, mini pumpkins and gourds. They aren't glamorous or necessarily beautiful once the pests arrive in mid-summer, and the dogs like to pull the gourds or pumpkins off the vine every now and then and play ball with them, chew them up, or bury them, but they are non-toxic.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: ASPCA List of Plants Toxic to Dogs

o

What about beans? If you grew green beans, you would have something to eat as well.

:)

Moni

Oh, never mind, the flowers aren't showy.

o

I'm with Dawn - I recommend the Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervivens) and the American Crossvine. There are a few beautiful cultivars of the Coral Honeysuckle, but research them. A few are prone to mildew and aphids. The American Crossvine has a few cultivars that range from yellow to orange to and orangy-red. These vines will also attract hummingbirds to your garden! So, you get beauty in the flowers and on the wing!

Susan

o

I am pretty sure this is goldflame honeysuckle vine. It is not a rampant vine; it took it a while to get this big. I like it. Photobucket

o

I've been planting passion vines, the purple varieties. Also known as Maypop. They are a host for the gulf fritillary butterflies.

Passionflower

Gulf Frit 8/20

Gulf Frit 9/2/09

o

Thank you so much the wonderful advice! Yes, my dogs are chewers (labs), so that is something to be cognizant of.

I'll look into a further before planting, but you've all given me an excellent starting place!

o

Helen, that is a gorgeous Goldflame you have! Wow!

Lisa, I am ready for the butterflies. I have about 15 little Hackberry and Tawny Emperors chowing down in a container right now.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here