Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Fig dead to the ground...again.

mulberryknob
9 years ago

Last year we lost the early crop of these figs to late freeze after the bush had put on. The second crop totaled around 150 figs. This year that -4 temp killed the top completely. There are sprouts from the base already. Fortunately the two potted figs survived an 11 degree night in the greenhouse and have leafed out nicely. Last year each of those plants had about 25 figs. So we will have a few figs anyway.

Comments (8)

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

What variety do you grow? I have been tempted to plant some.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

My in-ground fig froze back to the ground but I haven't checked it in the last week for new growth. Last time I checked it, there wasn't any.

The one that I overwintered in the greenhouse is in terrific shape and is back outside now.

Robert, I grow Brown Turkey and think that Dorothy does as well. It does really well here and comes back reliably (almost always) from freezing to the ground.

I lost several fig trees a few years back when our official low temperature dropped to 1 degree, including a Brown Turkey fig. So, I grow them in both the ground and in containers so that I have a better chance of getting figs every year.

I never have time to go tree shopping, but if I ever see a "Celeste" or "Alma" fig tree in a store, I'm going to buy and plant them.

Dawn

• wulfletons
    9 years ago

Can either of you tell me what size pots you keep your brown turkey fig in? We got one for Christmas and I'm considering potting it up instead of putting it in the ground. Thanks.

Krista

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was a passalong plant over 25 years ago, but I think it is a Brown Turkey. The two in pots are White Kadota and Desert King. I want a Chicago Hardy to grow in the ground.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Dorothy,
    I mulched the little fig tree, you gave me, heavily. But so far, it hasn't leafed out at all. Here's hoping that it sprouts from the roots.

George

• gardenper
    9 years ago

It looks like you have a good-sized property. Propagate some of your figs to new plants around the property (or in a certain area if you don't want them all over the place). Have a harvest that is also based on quantity of plants.

I say this because sometimes certain spots may have conditions that help a plant. A neighbor plant right next to it may die but it will survive.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

George, if it doesn't make it, come dig another one. There are several sprouts around the main bush.
    Krista, I have the two potted plants in 18 gallon pots. They will be going in even bigger (taller anyway) pots this fall.
    gardenper, yes, we have moved two sprouts from this bush to a spot on the south side of an outbuilding. But they have died to the ground the last two winter.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Krista, My potted fig is in a molasses feed tub. Molasses feed tubs come in somewhat different shapes and sizes, and the fig tree is in one that Tim estimates at about 30-gallons. The molasses feed tub looks to me that it is just about as big around as a whiskey half-barrel planter, but it is several inches taller.

Dawn

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?