Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Overgrown greenhouse.

mulberryknob
10 years ago

The only thing in this section that isn't shooting up flower stalks is the Swiss chard--in the back left corner. Arugula, cilantro, spinach, radishes, a couple lettuce plants, kale and mustard. All going to seed. I'm going to save the seed from some of it before I pull it out and take it to the compost.

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

Those plants are kinda rambunctious, aren't they.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I was just looking at the plants in our greenhouse yesterday and thinking that the heat is getting to them and I need to hurry up and plant anything that still resides in there. We hit 100 degrees in there the other day with the two doors and four vents open. I usually try to have the greenhouse emptied out by May 1st, and think I'll likely make that goal this year. Most of the front garden space is planted, but I still have to finish the back garden. I've been trying to work around the weather, but the weather is being mighty uncooperative lately. I've really appreciated the greenhouse this past week though. It has sheltered a lot of plants from some really strong winds.

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

my greenhouse is getting warm too. We put out 92 tomato plants today and dug up some sugar baby volunteer melons out of the garden today.

still need to get the squash going and cantaloupe. may even put another row of tomatoes out. I only started 268 of tomatoes.

wish I could of made the spring fling but I'm usually so far behind on chores . I usually only get one good day in on the weekend to get a months worth of chores done.

I'm not working as many hours as last yr but I still get 11 hrs in counting the drive.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Okay, then. I'm feeling rather puny. But that's AWESOME. Would love to see picks when they're fruiting so I can salivate over my keyboard.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Robert, You and I are living parallel lives this week. I dug up watermelon volunteers that popped up in a bed of paste tomato plants and moved them to a place where they could grow and produce for the rest of this season. They could be volunteers from Harvest Moon, which grew in that bed and performed superbly last year or they could be Yellow Baby, Yellow Doll or Sugar Baby that grew there in past years.

I planted my final tomato plant in the ground on Friday, and hauled all the backup plants to the Spring Fling where they all found good homes. This morning, our weather radios have already gone off twice, warning that severe weather intends to pummel the plants fiercely this morning. We also have a wind advisory for the rest of the day in addition to the severe thunderstorm watch. I hate it when we have the threat of severe weather after I've given up the security of having flats of backup plants in the greenhouse.

Your workday is too long. Tim's actual workday is 10 hours, but only 4 days a week, and his round-trip commute adds 3 hours to that. He has a hard time getting all his chores (lol, meaning the honey-do list I have for him plus all his VFD chores) done in three days off a week. He's been herding cattle a lot later, and we don't even have cows....but the local cows are busy escaping from their pastures and roaming the roads...and you cannot just drive by and leave one there in the road. We always try to put them back in the nearest pasture so no one will hit them.

The racoons already are visiting the garden and looking for something to eat, and spend their whole night trying to get into the chicken runs.....even though the chickens usually are securely locked up inside the chicken coops. That means Tim has been doing some chicken run repairs and coon-shooting this week. It doesn't even make sense to plant corn when there's this many coons around, but I planted it anyway.

I assume with that many tomato plants you intend to sell tomatoes someplace this year. I think I ended up with about 100 plants in the ground, and three of the plants put in the ground in March have their first fruit breaking color. I hope I'll be busy canning a lot of salsa and other tomato products this summer. If today's hail, strong wind or fires don't get those plants, we will have our first ripe tomatoes soon....and it never is soon enough for me. The first BLT sandwich of the season is long awaited and eagerly anticipated.

Bon, Don't ruin your keyboard.....

Dawn