Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

Looking for several tomato varieties...

Shelley Smith
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

Last year I grew Black Cherry and it was my favorite. The flavor was awesome and it also seemed to do well compared to the other tomatoes I grew. But I haven't seen it around this year - TLC doesn't have it and neither does Farmer's Grain Co. in Edmond. If it was listed through the Oklahoma Food Co-op I missed out. Has anyone seen the plants anywhere in the Edmond/OKC area?

I have not grown Chocolate Cherry or Black Plum (the latter is a paste type I think) but would like to try them. Has anyone here grown these varieties, and if so, what did you think?

And finally, the Co-op has Haley's Purple Comet and Honkin' Big Black Cherry. I've never heard of these and even googling didn't turn up much so I'm thinking they might be rare varieties.. Has anyone here grown these? I'm wondering if the latter is similar to the Black Cherry I grew last year.

Also, if anyone has recommendations for outstanding paste type tomatoes, I'd love to hear them. I'm hoping to get enough tomatoes to process this year and would like to make some really outstanding tomato sauce.

Comments (8)

• wulfletons
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

K and K had black cherry yesterday. They are near Norman, so a little far south for you, I am afraid.

• lat0403
    11 years ago

Red Dirt Plants sells Black Cherry. I don't know if you have an Atwoods near you, but they sell Red Dirt. I haven't grown the others you listed.

The only paste I've grown is Heidi, but you'd have to grow from seed, so I'm not much help. I'm sure someone else will have ideas.

Leslie

• chrholme
    11 years ago

Sunrise Acres out of Blanchard grows it organically! I do not go all the way down there (I'm in Edmond too) so I buy from them every Saturday at the OSU-OKC farmer's market! There plants are only .80 each! :)

I have attached their plant list below because they have several varieties that I cannot find anywhere else!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Acres Plant List

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I grew Chocolate Cherry and Black Cherry side by side last year so I could compare them. Chocolate Cherry produced plenty of fruit and the fruit was slightly larger than Black Cherry but I thought the flavor was poor. It was so poor by comparison to Black Cherry that I stopped picking the fruit from the Chocolate Cherry plants and left them for the birds to eat. I won't waste space on Chocolate Cherry again. Since the perception of flavor is highly individual, though, you won't know if your taste buds like the flavor of CC until you try it for yourself. Our taste buds are as individual as we human beings are so no two people will necessarily perceive the flavor of the same fruit in the same way.

Black Plum is a really unique paste tomato. It is very small for a paste tomato, so it is a lot of work to pick and process compared to larger paste varieties. I would have to pick and process 10-15 Black Plums to give me the equivalent of 1 Speckled Roman paste tomato, and I grew them both last year just a few feet from one another so it was a fair comparison. I wouldn't compare the fruit from one plant one year to the fruit from a different plant in another year, but when you grow them in the garden in the same year, that's a pretty fair comparison. I love Black Plum. It has a unique flavor I haven't found in any other tomato, but because they are such a PITA to process, I usually eat them fresh. Sometimes if I have just a few, I'll run them through the tomato strainer with a bunch of bigger tomatoes and cook them down into sauce or salsa together. I'd never get enough Black Plums at one time to make a batch of sauce only from Black Plum, for example.

Haley's Purple Comet was okay the year I grew up but didn't produce very well (it was a very hot, dry year). I didn't like it enough to grow it again. I don't think it cares much for our hot weather because it stopped producing very early in the season, long before other varieties were shut down by the heat.

I haven't grown Honkin' Big Black Cherry so cannot comment on it except to say this. You or I or anyone can take any open-pollinated tomato and rename it and sell it and no one can stop us, so when someone offers a 'new' version of a well-loved OP, I usually am not quick to jump on the bandwagon. Sometimes people who grow the 'new' version don't really think it is different from the old one, if you know what I mean. I've linked the Tatiana's Tomato Base page for this variety below so you can see what people say about it. TTB is usually the place I go to check on a variety that is new to me to see what I can learn about it. She does a great job of keeping track of what's what and who, if anyone, is selling the variety commercially. Some plants that are "rare" are only rare because somebody renamed a common variety....and I am not saying or implying that the folks who named the Honkin' variety did that...I'm just saying such things are common occurrences in the seed world. You cannot automatically discount a new variety though because tomatoes cross all the time or mutate or throw off sports and any one of them has the potential to be great.

For outstanding paste tomato varieties, I am assuming that you want the name of some that are available as transplants? That really restricts the list because a lot of the best ones you will pretty much have to grow yourself from seed if you want them. The best one you're likely to find available as transplants is San Marzano, and if you find San Marzano Redorta, it is even better. Both are very good to excellent. Speckled Roman is a terrific one and sometimes can be found as transplants. I've grown Heidi for quite a few years here. It performs exceptionally well in our climate, perhaps because it was brought here to the USA by someone from a similarly hot summer climate. The flavor is excellent and the plants produce very heavily, often with pretty much more fruit than foliage on the plants. I don't know if anyone sells Heidi transplants commercially.

The standard paste type you'll see everywhere is Roma VF or some version of Roma. Before I started raising my plants from seed, I used to buy Viva Italia and really liked it, but I rarely see it in stores as transplants although I think the seed is still available.

Rutgers is an old standby--a multipurpose tomato that has great disease tolerance, produces well and is about as good for fresh eating as it is for canning. I don't like its flavor as much as that of San Marzano or San Marzano Redorta, but it isn't bad.

Most tomato maniacs who can a lot of tomatoes grow a mixture of tomatoes and combine them in batches. When I am making salsa, I don't really care what sort of paste tomatoes I use because the tomatoes are really just the base flavor and the stronger flavor of the peppers, onions and spices predominate in the finished salsa product. For pasta sauces or for plain canned sauce or whole tomatoes, most people I know blend together a variety of tomatoes, both paste and regular, to get a nice blend of flavors. You will have to cook down the sauce a little more if you use non-paste types, but the flavor is so superb it is worth it. The best-flavored sauces I make usually contain a blend of several varieties, and often includes black, purple and pink types. A sauce cooked only from SunGold tomatoes is about as good as it gets. If you are wanting to dry paste tomatoes to use as sun-dried tomatoes, you cannot go wrong with Principe Borghese', except they are really small and it takes a long time to pick the fruit from even one plant because the plants produce so many fruit. As much as I like PB, I grew a lot of paste tomatoes this year that produce larger fruit in order to cut down on the time I spend harvesting and slicing tomatoes to dry. Shiavone Italian Paste was superb last year along with Speckled Roman. This year I am trying a bunch of new ones like Russo Sicilian Togeta, Carol Chyko's Big Black Paste and Tony's Italian, but cannot comment on them yet other than to say the seeds germinated and the plants are growing just fine.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Honkin' Big Black Cherry

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

Yes Atwoods has black cherry

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Indeed, individual tastes differ. I've grown Black Plum both in NJ and OK, and I won't grow it again. No one in my family can stomach them fresh. We just don't like the flavor. Furthermore, when I grew them in OK heat they rotted on the vine at an amazing rate.

Black Cherry, on the other hand, is a "must grow" for every year. I have 12 of them ready to go. Jerreth, my wife, is very happy to anticipate having to keep up with 12 black cherry tomato plants.

This is my first year to try Heidi. I'm also growing Rio Grande a second time. I'm very interested in finding good paste tomatoes which handle our conditions. Of course, I also have about a dozen Roma VF plants. Don't like their flavor, fresh, but they produce dependably, last well on the counter and cook down fine.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Shelley Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all very much! I knew I could count on you all to help me :) Now I know where to go to get Black Cherry, and I don't think I will bother with the other ones. I will look for some of the alternate paste tomatoes Dawn suggested instead. Sounds like I really need to go to the OSU farmers market this weekend. Next year I will be all set up to grow my own - I just didn't get it all together in time this year.

Good to know that you can combine different tomatoes and you don't have to use paste tomatoes to get good sauce (hey, I'm new at this lol :) I'm glad you mentioned drying as I want to try that too but forgot to mention it.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I will have to try the Black Cherry again. I grew them a year or two ago and did not like it at all. Those were the plants I would take the horn worms to from the other plants. They did produce longer and better than any plants I had.

I liked Brandywine better than any tomato that I have eaten, they are also the slowest and laziest plants I have ever grown.

Larry