Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

do you have to hill potatoes?

Shelley Smith
10 years ago

I have a question about growing potatoes. I have raised beds about 12" deep. Since I haven't figured out how to hill potatoes inside a raised bed, I have been planting the seed potatoes really deep - like 10" or so. I plant them in mid February and it takes them a long time to come up but when they do they really seem to grow fast, plus by the time they reach the surface the danger of frost has (usually!) passed.

I'm trying to understand if what I am doing accomplishes the same thing as hilling. Is the goal to have a lot of stem underground between the seed potato and the surface of the soil so lots of potatoes can form along it?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer on this question. Thanks!

Comment (1)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No, you do not "have to" hill potatoes, and planting the seed potatoes deeply is a different way of achieving the same goal. However, planting deep only works if you have well-drained soil. If someone plants too deeply in soil that is cold and holds moisture too long, there is a very real risk that the seed potatoes will rot before they sprout.

I usually plant my seed potatoes 8" deep but only put a couple of inches of soil on top of the seed potatoes and leave the rest of the soil sitting beside the hole. As the plant emerges from the soil, I rake more soil into the holes and fill the holes in over time. That way I can keep an eye on the potatoes and know they are growing, rather than planting them 8" down and then wondering for a month or more if they ever are going to emerge from the soil.

I think you should do whatever works for you in the conditions you have. If you get good harvests from planting deeply, why change? However, be really careful in an extra-wet year unless you have soil that drains incredibly fast. Potatoes planted that deeply in cold, perpetually wet soil struggle to survive.

You know how potatoes grow, right? You plant the seed piece and stolons grow upwards and outwards and roots grow downwards. Eventually, tubers will form on the parts of the stolons that are underneath the soil. Sometimes, as the tubers (which are your potatoes) enlarge, they break through the surface of the soil and sunlight hits them. Wherever the skin of your potatoes is hit by sunlight, solanine (a poisonous substance) develops, your potato skin takes on a greenish tinge and the potatoes develop a bitter flavor. Hilling or mounding soil around the base of the plant before potatoes bust up out of the ground prevents the sunlight from reaching the potatoes and turning them green.

Because I generally grow potatoes in raised beds, I plant deeply instead of hilling. Normally, you'll get potatoes forming along roughly 6-8" of underground stolon. Sometimes, though, they'll form a little higher. I don't like hilling in raised beds. First, it just looks silly. Secondly, wind and rain erosion can wash down or blow away your hills. So, I plant deeply and then, around the time that the tubers start forming, I pile on the mulch thickly. The mulch, if applied thickly and packed down, keeps sunlight from reaching the tubers and turning them green.

Some people believe that you can keep hilling indefinitely and more potatoes form along the stolon. However, I don't know anyone who ever has been able to produce tubers in our climate along more than 8-10" of stolon, even if they piled on another foot of soil as a hill or a foot of mulch.

Heat does impact the plants' ability to form tubers, so here in OK, no matter how deeply we plant or how high up we hill or mulch, there's only so many potatoes the plants have time to form before it gets too hot for tubers to set and size.

Do what works. I've tried growing potatoes every which way and my favorite way is deep planting with mulching later in the season instead of hilling. In a really wet year, though, I'll plant more shallowly and hill because if I plant deeply, the seed potatoes rot.