Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

to cover, or not to cover...

OklaMoni
11 years ago

I won't. I leave for work at 6:45, and it usually gets coldest right about then. No way, can I cover and then let the plants get to hot, before I get back home...

Thus, live or die... at my place. :)

Moni

Comments (14)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Same at mine...too much to cover!

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

My garden looks a little like a city dump. I have row cover on two beds, but thought I was through with covering so I just grabbed what was available, i.e. sheets, flower pots, 5 gal buckets, big water bottles. Tain't a pretty site.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I covered up the raised beds of veggies but all the perennial and reseeding annual flowers that are in bloom are on their own. I never cover up ornamental plants as they will recover fine on their own. Edible crops are a different story, though, as freeze or frost damage can delay or ruin the harvest. Thus, I covered up about 3000 square feet of raised beds and it took me a long time. We didn't have a Freeze Warning yesterday like so many of you, but I know our microclimate quite well and expected freezing temperatures and possibly frost even in the absence of a warning. Around. 11:30 last night the NWS issued a Freeze Warning for us.....too late to do anyone much good if their plants weren't already covered.

The last time I checked, our Mesonet station went down to 29 degrees. I haven't gone downstairs yet and checked our Min-Max thermometer.

Dawn

• lat0403
    11 years ago

I covered mine and it's a good thing because it's 26 outside!

Leslie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Our Min-Max thermometer is posted 5' above ground and it shows a low of 33 degrees. The temperature at ground level likely was lower. We had moderate frost on the windshields, the green rye grass crunched when I walked on it and the floating row covers are covered in frost. I'm glad I covered up the veggie beds.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I covered my potatoes with hay but I dont think we had a frost. The plants and hay are so wet I am concerned about fungus now.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

we covered our toms with nursery pots and blankets. Thermometer said 38 at 7 am.

I suspect we hit at least 32 because the blankets we used were still wet from the rain and had froze slightly when we removed them this morning.

mike

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't cover anything.. and rode my bike to work. It was cold out. But everything looks ok right now.

Going back out, to load up my stuff.

See you all tomorrow.

Moni

• Cynthiann
    11 years ago

The forecast here was 32-33 and so I only covered my potatoes. The potatoes were just starting to sprout right before the last freeze and they got a little frost bitten then. Everything else is cold season plants so I wasn't to worried about the other plants. Tomatoes are going in this weekend.

• ReedBaize
    11 years ago

I'll also be planting this weekend. THe forecast for next week shows a low of 37 so I might throw a single sheet over them then.

• ScottOkieman
    11 years ago

Well, my garden squeaked by again. Yesterday morning I got up early and saw some spotty frost on the grass near a part of my garden which is relatively flat. (Much of my garden is near areas which drop off in elevation fairly quickly. I live on a ridge.) So I got out and started spraying water on my tomatoes and some of my potatoes. They survived, though they look rough.

Unfortunately, my folk's potatoes got bit back to the ground. They should come back, but it will set them behind some.

I woke up this morning to check on the temperatures in case I needed to spray the plants again. Thankfully it is much warmer this time.

Now I've got to decide what to do about the low temps. forecast for next Tuesday. I've got some peppers and basil which are getting too big, and really really need to be planted. So, I'm going to plant half of them today, and hold half of them until after next weeks cold passes. I have twice as many as I need anyway, so they really are backups.

Such an odd spring...

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I did not cover my potatoes, I got busy doing other things and forgot them. They look pretty bad. It was not supposed to get that cold, but it did. I can almost bet on 5 degrees lower than the Ft. Smith forecast, sometimes it get lower than that. This make three times they have been bit. The 2 other times they were covered and still got nipped a little, but only where the hay was thinner.

I agree, it is an odd spring.

Larry

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

It is still too early for peppers where I live, but I hope to plant tomatoes next week. I have covered things several times but nothing has been damaged even if it was uncovered. but I only have cool weather crops in the ground.

• faerybutterflye
    11 years ago

I only have 3 jalapeno pepper plants in a pot this year, covered them last night & hoped for the best! I love browsing this forum, a few years back I had the opportunity to have a small vegetable garden & this community is what helped me out. We just moved to a new house & have the room, but not the proper fencing required for a garden with 3 large dogs & a 4-year-old with a fascination for picking every flower that he sees! But maybe next year ;-)

This year, I will have to enjoy my flowers & houseplants & live vicariously through the members of this forum :)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County