Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joellenh_gw

Spring Fling recipes.

joellenh
10 years ago

I loved EVERYTHING I ate here. I stuffed myself. I know there were several requests for recipes, including my BBQ chicken.

I grew up on this chicken, It originated near my home town, and we had it for every festival and party. It is called Cornell Chicken. NOTE!!! I always marinate for 2-3 DAYS. It is much better after that amount of time. The chicken I served at the party was only marinated for 6 hours.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornell-chicken-marinade/

Original recipe makes 3 cups I double it and make a bunch.

1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Crack the egg into a medium bowl and whisk until beaten. Slowly whisk in the oil until fully blended. Then whisk in the vinegar, salt, poultry seasoning, and ground black pepper. Set some of the sauce aside to use for basting while grilling. Place chicken in shallow baking dish, and coat with sauce. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Comments (16)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jo, thanks for starting the thread!

Here's the mango salsa:

1 large mango
    1/2 small jicama
    1/3 orange bell pepper
    1/3 red bell pepper
    1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed
    1/3 small red onion (see Cook’s Tip)
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp Chili Lime Rub (I didn't use this)

I probably tripled this recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Confetti Salsa

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Cornbread Salad

1 package retail size Shawnee cornbread mix
    1 envelope ranch dressing mix
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 cans (16 oz. each) pinto beans, drained
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    10 slices bacon, fried very crispy and crumbled
    2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
    ½ cup each of chopped red pepper, green pepper, green onion
    2 chopped tomatoes

Preparation:

Make up the cornbread, cool. Stir together salad dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise until blended, set aside.

Combine chopped tomatoes, bell peppers and onions. Toss gently. Crumble ½ of the cornbread into a large bowl. Top

With half each of beans, tomato mixture, cheese, bacon, corn and dressing mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and chill

For at least 3 hours. When ready to serve, stir the whole mess together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shawnee Mills Cornbread Salad

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Jo and Lisa,

Thanks for sharing the recipes. Everything was delicious. I will have to get these recipes copied to use in the future.

Sandy

• oklavenderlady
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recipes. I loved all the things I tried and wished I had room to try everything. I'm going to try making all your recipes and as much as I hate cooking, that's high praise. The foods were really great.

Lisa, I was wondering what was crunchy in your salsa. I've seen jicama in the local stores but have never used it. Now I have a reason to.

I loved the bhaba ganoush, too. Never had it before. Mia, did you say you had a recipe for it?

Loretta

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

I asked Serenity later if she enjoyed the "chocolate" and the "peanut buttery stuff". She enlightened me what it is really called "peanut butter cake" and demanded I make her some. LOL

I DOVE into the baba ganoush and, well, everything LOL It was so good!

Bonnie

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the recipes! DH especially loved the chicken, Jo (he is a meat-and-potatoes-type) so that is on our list to do asap. I usually over-cook chicken because I fear poisoning someone, but we now have a food thermometer and I am learning to trust it more!

The baba ghanoush I brought to the fling was from Mediterranean Deli in OKC, not homemade, but I have made it from scratch using the linked recipe before. As for changes to the recipe, I probably didn't have any parsley and kind of winged it with more lemon juice to taste, I like things lemony, and I definitely like mine very smoothly mashed or pureed, not chunky, but do what you feel!

3 whole medium eggplants
    4 Tablespoons tahini
    4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (good quality)
    1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
    plenty of kosher salt (to taste)

IMPORTANT: Prick the surface of each eggplant several times with the tines of a fork. On the grill or under the broiler (set to high) blacken/char the eggplant for 25 minutes or so. You want the skin to be completely shriveled and dark, and the eggplant almost fall-apart tender. Just when you think it’s shriveled, let it go another five minutes. Set them aside to cool slightly.

When cool, peel off skin enough to get a spoon into each eggplant and scrape out the flesh into a bowl. Try to get as much as you can, even the stuff that’s stuck to the inside of the skin. (This process is a total mess, so don’t worry.)
    Mash eggplant with a fork/potato masher. A few chunks are fine, but try to get it to a relatively smooth texture without being totally pureed. Add in all other ingredients, stirring and tasting before adjusting seasonings or other ingredients. Don’t undersalt! Serve with pita triangles, baguette slices, chips, or crusty French bread.

I like to have it as a spread for sandwiches, with chicken and rice, with grilled chicken and just about any other way.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW's baba ghanoush recipe

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mia, I am totally clueless when I cook meat of any kind. When I am grilling chicken, I just cut into it to see if it's done (which probably is not smart, as it lets all of the juices escape).

Jo

• shankins123
    10 years ago

OK, Carol....I think you need to post your bread recipe - those rolls were GREAT!!

:) Sharon

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Sharon, Thanks. I make bread at least once a week and rarely the same way twice in a row. I have a Bosch that can make a huge batch at one time, so what I brought was just one big batch of bread (36 sandwich rolls). One had no topping, another sesame seeds, and the third had a King Arthur topping called 'Everything Bread and Bagel Topping' which is a favorite of ours, and I order it on-line from KA.

I take many liberties with bread, but this is the basic recipe for 2 loaves.

2 1/4 cups of warm water
    1 Tablespoon SAF yeast
    1 Tablespoon salt
    2 Tablespoons oil
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    5 1/2 to 6 cups of flour

If I were making it by hand I would mix together, then let it rise in the bowl until double, stir it down, and let it rise a second time in the bowl. Then shape it and let it rise until double in the pan. It will make two loaves of bread or rolls. It requires almost no kneading if you do the second rise in the bowl and all you do is shape it. Some people use a floured cabinet for shaping the dough, I just use a silpat type mat with a little oil.

The rolls that I brought to the Fling were made with all white flour, the oil was coconut oil, and the sugar was brown sugar.

When I use white flour, I use the 6 cup measure. More often than not, I use whole wheat for at least half of the flour. Since it has the bran included, it will absorb more liquid, so I might use 3 cups whole wheat and 2 1/2 cups white flour. With whole wheat flour, I increase the sugar a little, or I add a Tablespoon of molasses in addition to the sugar. I sometimes use honey, but it isn't my favorite. It never hurts to use a couple of Tablespoons of Vital Wheat Gluten if you are using whole wheat flour. It will help to keep it fresh longer and will help with the rise. Some people think that whole wheat has a bitter taste, and they replace a little of the water with orange juice to compensate for that. When the flour is fresh, there is no bitter taste at all, and since I grind my own a couple of minutes before I make the bread, I never have that problem. The acid in the juice will also help with the rise if you are are using whole wheat flour.

For the oil, I may use regular vegetable oil, soft butter, or coconut oil. I never use Canola oil in anything. If I am making rolls I may use butter, and add maybe a 1/4 cup of dry powdered milk, just to make the taste a little richer, or you could use milk for all or part of the water. We have a lot of milk allergies in our family so I limit milk use.

Like I said above, I make it different all of the time. I keep a starter in my refrigerator that is a natural yeast, or also have a sourdough starter. I keep lots of different grains and sometimes a few different flours, but mostly I grind my own whole grains.

Although I have given the above recipe to many people, it is getting harder for me to explain to people because making bread in a Bosch is so different. I bought mine last Fall and I haven't bought a loaf of bread since. It is a very powerful mixer and I just dump everything in, mix it a little, let it set a few minutes until the dough starts to puff up a little, then I turn on the machine and let it knead for about 8 minutes, shape it, and put it in the pans.

Bread dough is very forgiving, and very cheap to make, so just have fun with it. Make it once by the recipe so you know what the dough should feel like, then experiment. In a Bosch, you add flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl so I don't even measure it anymore.

Sam's sells two bags of SAF yeast for a good price. When I open one, I just dump the yeast into a canning jar with a good lid and keep it in the refrigerator. If you buy bulk yeast then all of the ingredients are cheap. Well, the topping is a little high, but it last a long time and you don't have to have that. You can leave the tops plain and brush with butter when you remove them from the oven.

For years I made the above recipe, baked it in two loaf pans at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Some time ago I switched to 360 for 33 minutes with the oven I have now. You might want to try it at 350 and start checking it at about 35 minutes. If you thump the top and it sounds hollow, then it is done.

Making bread is about the easiest thing you can make. It scares people because of the time involved, but most of the time is just waiting, not working. If I lived alone like some of you do, I would make the above, when it was time to put it in the pan, I would tear off what I wanted and refrigerate the rest. The dough will keep 4-5 days without a problem. When you want the next loaf, just take out what you want, let it reach room temperature, then shape into a loaf.

When I was making it with just a bowl and spoon, I timed it once and I could mix it up in under 6 minutes, then I could come back to stir it down in an hour or so. If you are home, it isn't at all time consuming. If you work, you might like to start by making 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day' which is the name of a book (and a recipe) and the basic bread can be found in several places on the web.

I adjust ingredients all of the time making the dough slightly softer for rolls than bread, and usually a little richer. Once you learn the technique, you will want to try lots of things. If it isn't perfect at first, just eat your mistakes, and try again.

A friend of mine has a granddaughter living with her that is about 14. I scribbled the recipe down for her and the granddaughter made it for the family. They said it was perfect the first time and they all loved it. I am going to have her over soon to learn how to use the dough for other things, and a lesson in pie crust and coconut pie. LOL

Jo - The little hostess gift I gave you also comes from King Arthur, and once you use that cinnamon, you will have to place an order. It is the best.

Now I am sure this is more info that you wanted to know, but the basic recipe is the starting point to a world of homemade bread.

PS. Paula, don't try to leave out the sweetener. It is just 3 Tablespoons in two loaves of bread. LOL

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

Soonergrandmom: Which KA cinnamon was that exactly? Hmmmm?

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

Soonergrandmom: Which KA cinnamon was that exactly? Hmmmm?

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Vietnamese

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol! I love making bread, although I don't make much (in the interest of not wanting to eat ALL of it as it comes out of the oven!). I make my own pizza dough, and I did make a new recipe for rolls for Easter that turned out really great - similar to yours, but with the addition of powdered milk. I love the possibility of keeping it in the fridge for a few days and using what I need :)

Vietnamese ("Saigon") cinnamon is THE best! Such a rich, complex, sweet flavor - it makes the grocery store stuff seem bland.

For those of you that enjoy freshly ground herbs and spices, but who may not want to purchase online (and who would like to taste before you buy), consider stopping by the Savory Spice Shop in OKC. They're on the corner of NW 43rd and Western. You can taste anything you like, from single herbs and spices to some of their tasty blends. You may purchase in varying amounts and with or without jars. Your cooking will never be the same!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory Spice Shop in OKC

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Sharon, you are welcome. like I said this is just a basic, and I do a lot of things to mine and powdered milk is just one. I also sometimes add dried potato flakes and it makes a nice soft addition.

Just for the record, since we are talking about bread and spices, be careful about adding spices to yeast bread because some will interfere with the rise of the dough. Cinnamon is one of those, and it is much better to make the basic dough, let it rise, and roll in out and add the cinnamon and additional sugar, then roll it up and slice it. I assume that it is partly because the sharpness of the grind interferes with the gluten strands.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Thank you for that, Carol. that explains a lot of my past failures!

I really suck at chemistry even on a basic level. Ergo, I suck at baking. LOL

bonnie

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Bon, You are welcome. Bread is really easy once your learn a few basics.