Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchezbot

Bare-root Roses

dchezbot
11 years ago

Hello,

Me and my wife just got married a few months ago and moved into a rental house with a horrible yard that hasn't been kept up with in years. I have been working hard to get everything cleared out and encouraging the desirable plants that sprout up. I have never gardened before, but have really enjoyed the process so far and have gotten very excited about growing roses. It's a relatively small house so I have chosen some miniature varieties that won't outgrow the front beds. I also plan to do a nice blaze climbing rose over the front porch. However despite all of my research and preparation I was enticed today into buying a bare root rose at a bargain store just for the heck of it. It was only $5 and I think it will be a fun experiment for my backyard. It is a Mister Lincoln. It is not in great shape (again only 5 dollars) but is reasonably moist. Obviously I can not plant it right now because we are having a random week of thunder storms and hail, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to store it for the next few days. Do I need to open it and moisten the roots again, or just leave it till I am ready to plant next week? I also would not turn down any advice on planting it. Very excited but nervous for my first growing season!

Thanks

Comments (7)

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

When I was working at Home Depot, we didn't open them, but did water them... well, as much as you could in a bag.

Moni... who really doesn't do much with roses.... besides pruning ever so often.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

:) We all fall victim to those! Congrats on your marriage and the new house!

Do you have soil and a big enough pot where you could pot up the rose?

I haven't seen you before, Welcome! What part of OK are you in?

• dchezbot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lisa_h. I do not have soil or a big enough pot on hand. I have been doing some more research and based on pictures the bare-root rose I got is a pretty bad specimen. I probably should have done the google search while I was in the store. lol. I have cut it down to the parts that are green and have it soaking in water with a hand full of fertilizer. I am going to let it soak for a few days and plant it once things warm up this weekend. I will plant it nice and low and hope for the best. My five dollar rose will probably get a 20 hole considering I am going to plant it next to a few other plants I purchased. This might be a failed experiment from the start, but I guess no matter what it's a learning experience. I am in Bethany in the OKC metro.

Thanks!

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Oh, you are not to far from me... I am near 16th and Villa.

What area did you move from?

Moni

• dchezbot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Moni,

I have actually lived in OKC for five years now. I moved up here for college and just recently got married. So this is my first time to have a yard. Excited and terrified.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Ahhh! Soaking the rose sounds like a good idea.

You should check out the "needs a home" shelf at your local Lowes. You can find a lot of good plants there for super cheap. I picked up two reblooming azaleas for 6.25 a piece last weekend. This is a good time to find stuff because the plants get bit back a little with the cold weather. Still good, but not pretty enough for the normal price.

I probably shouldn't point you in the direction of the rose forum and the antique rose forum, but they can fan your excitement into a complete obsession! Ask me how I know. :) Look into own root roses and antique roses. The roses we all think of as "roses" can struggle here in OK. The link I attached below is for Chamblee Roses. They are in Tyler, TX, so they have similar weather conditions to us. I have some great roses that came from there.

OHHHH, you and your wife ought to take a stroll through Will Rogers Park in a month. They have a gorgeous rose garden, plus irises and peonies.

(Archduke Charles rose)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblee Roses

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus