Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

ugh. hail again.

MiaOKC
10 years ago

Wasn't paying attention to weather and look what happened!

Comments (9)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Mia, I had an uneasy feeling after watching the news and ask my wife to help me bring my plants inside. I am going to be so Gun Shy that I will never get my plants in the ground.

Larry

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry I've brought the seedlings in and out twice today due to weather threats this a.m. and evening, so those were thankfully safe. Big pots with cannas and hibiscus just went outside this afternoon from their winter vacation in the garage and I didn't get a chance to drag them in so they had to weather the storm. Hope they'll be ok.

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Lost 12 to the hail. Cut through the stems like butter. Knocked the top off of a few but they still have some limbs so I suspect suckers will emerge.

12 to the hail and 10 to a freeze in the same week.

W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L.

• shankins123
    10 years ago

I had run out to grab some old lawn chairs to kind of lean over my onions (about 4' X 4') and had been back in the house probably about 30 seconds when it hit...I think I got marble-size. I just checked and I'm ok. So sorry for those that had HALF-DOLLAR-size hail! My potatoes got frost-bit earlier this week (oops), but I'm hopeful they'll make it.
    Is this the craziest spring? I'm waiting another week to put out my tomatoes and peppers, that's for sure.

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Y'all, I am do sorry to hear about all the damage.

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I was sitting in a movie theater watching a movie when I got a call that hail was on the way. We decided to stay for the movie. It hit just as the movie was ending....ugh. It sounded AWFUL. I had visions of all my windows being completely gone and then the rain hit. We could hear it coming down in buckets.

Fortunately all my windows were intact and we got home okay. The garden looks okay, but it is too dark to make extensive checks. As I was settling down, cruising facebook, I started seeing chatter about the roof of my church building being gone. I raced up and sure enough, half of it is peeled off. No electricity, our roof took out the power lines, but they said all the ceiling tiles are gone in the education wing and the downstairs is flooded. Great.

Good news is, Sunday is the Marathon and we are a water stop. Everyone is out manning the water stop on that day, so there's not a lot going on in the education wing anyway!

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

I haven't been outside to check yet, but the intensity of the hail was reminiscent of the 2010 hail storm when we got baseball size hail. It was so loud that even when I turned up the TV full blast I could not hear the voices on it. It didn't last as long as that first storm - only about 5 minutes - but that's long enough to cause some damage. How many new roofs will an insurance company pay for in a couple or three year intervals.......hmmmm.

Larry, I haven't put my plants out yet either, so I may NEVER get tomatoes in 2013!

Susan

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

good grief, and I slept right through it... or maybe it didn't hail down here near 16th and Villa?
    Yes,m I got lucky. No hail damage here. Even luckier, as I got 9 10th of an inch of rain.

Just have to plant my new hosta I bought yesterday... this afternoon, after the bike ride. :)

Moni

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Awww. I'm so sorry about your plants, Mia.

I'm fighting my attitude about not having spring. I know we need the moisture. looking at the drought monitor helps.

We could do without hail damage, though!
    bonnie