Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dixondale Farms 5th Largest Cantaloupe Grower

Posted by elkwc 6a (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 0:06

I was looking at the Harris Seed site tonight for some information. And checked out their new blog site. On April 9th they had a post about a trip to Texas and visiting Bruce Frasier and Dixondale Farms. And stated that they were the 5th largest grower of cantaloupes and the largest US grower of onions. Thought it might be of interest to some as many one here are like me and grow Dixondale onions. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris Seeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dixondale Farms 5th Largest Cantaloupe Grower

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting. Can you imagine farming 2500 acres? I loved his description of the 'desolate' area he traveled through to reach Carizo Springs. That was a perfect description for that part of the state!

Dawn

o
RE: Dixondale Farms 5th Largest Cantaloupe Grower

Jay thanks for sharing. My husband grew up in deep South Texas. His sister in law tells hilarious stories about her and her siblings working in the onion fields before school every morning. They reeked of onions all day long, but so did the other kids, so no one cared!

Yes, it's desolate, but beautiful, and the people are wonderful. My husband wants to return to the family ranch for burial. I've teased him I won't be joining him because I don't want to spend eternity with wind-blown grit in my teeth!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here