Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

Vase/open pruning on a cherry tree.

wbonesteel
10 years ago

...or...how to torture a Bing cherry tree.

There are any number of places on the 'net to learn about open pruning and vase pruning techniques. I won't go into that, here. In our garden, we're using a combo of vase and espalier pruning techniques. Mostly because of how small our garden is, and because I wanted the branches to be more horizontal than in most open or vase shaped trees

Next year we should be able to remove the posts and wires from the Bing, as well as from the Red Delicious, and let them grow. One drawback to such pruning techniques is that the tree needs to be pruned, w/o fail, every fall. Often enough, for various reasons, it needs to be thinned a bit during the midst of its growth cycle. So, if you aren't very good at pruning, you might not want to use such techniques for your trees.

The thing is, using such techniques, a standard fruit tree can be kept somewhat in check, not reaching the same height as it might under a more natural or normal pruning regimen. If you have issues with overhead wires and cables or other 'restrictions' on height, these techniques will allow you to go ahead and plant a standard fruit tree in your own garden.

We may get a couple of cherries, this year, but I'm not counting on it. Possibly even a Granny Smith apple or two. But, I'm not counting on it. The same is true of our other fruit trees. There won't be a lot of production from these trees for several years, until I make certain that the trunks are well established and healthy and that the 'girder' branches I've chosen are large enough to hold the crops.

For this type of pruning, the sooner you begin, the better for the tree in the long run. So, begin with a small tree, just a few years old. The drawback is...patience. Lots of patience. ...But, the pay off in looks and in healthy trees is well worth the wait, not only imo, but in the opinions of many professionals and home gardners..

Comments (2)

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, good luck with the plants

• Chirpy_Gardener
    10 years ago

Hello there,
    Your post was definitely useful! Hope I'm posting this in the right place. A bit new at this. Just wanted to ask, would pruning a dwarf cherry tree be okay at this stage? I've attached a picture. Pruning is terrifying for a newbie gardener, worried I might end up harming the poor thing somehow. Where would you recommend the cut should be made? Thanks loads!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz