Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

large stuffing pepper

borderokie
10 years ago

I am new to the site. Have been up late reading past post. I work at a greenhouse in Rock Island ok. Saw people wanting a large stuffing pepper and had to let you know there is one. We grow a pepper called Atris. It is 9 or so inches long and has no heat. Great for stuffing. Second year to grow it and people were asking for it this year they liked it so well. Love the site. Here is a link to see the pepper.

http://affordablehomeandgardenstore.com/pepper-atris-hybridthe site.

Comments (13)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Are you at M & M greenhouse, and do you have any of the peppers in stock? I will be going to Rock Island tomorrow. If you are not at M&M, how do I find where to get the peppers?

Thank you, Larry

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I am at M&M and yes we have them in stock. Hope you came by today. Sorry I didnt see the post till now. What I need is someone to tell me how to preserve them. Do you freeze them before you stuff them. Grew them last year but didnt do anything with them. Didnt get many but peppers just dont do very good in my garden. Not sure what I am doing wrong.Wondered if anyone on here visited us. I am usually in the back so dont see people up front much. Hope you like what you buy and they do well for you.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Borderokie, I did come by but could not find the peppers. There was a sign up that you were working in the next greenhouse. I did not have much time so thought I would come back later. My granddaughters live near the greenhouse so I am in the area often.

I did see some beautiful sweet potato slips while there. I have no room left in the garden, but I am tempted to till up an other area of the lawn and plant some.

You will have to ask someone else about freezing stuffed peppers. My wife and I are still learning about preserving food.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I have frozen stuffing peppers for several years now. I have done Poblanos and Joe Parkers, the seed of which Larry sent me a couple years ago and which we love. We do it by roasting the peppers on the grill til the skins are uniformly blistered, then popping them into a gallon plastic freezing bag and letting them sweat. When they've cooled we slip the skins off, slice down one side leaving the stem end on, pull out the seeds and membrane from inside, lay them out individually on cookie sheets to freeze, then pack them into freezer bags. The things we like about the Joe Parkers are taste, smoky with just a hint of heat, large size, and ease of peeling. The skin is thick, and after blistering and sweating pulls off easily in one or two large pieces. These are wonderful for chile rellenos. So thanks Larry.

I freeze jalapenos too, but just pop them into the freezer raw after deseedingj--with gloves on. I use these later in fresh and canned salsa.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry Larry. We are pretty slow right now and are trying to do other things while watching the front to make it worth keeping it open. Yesterday we were sticking mum cuttings in the house next door. Hope you make room for some sweet potatoes. We got the runaround on ours and got them much later than we should have. Afraid we wont sell them all. Changing hours after this week wont be open on Sunday, closing at 2 on Sat. not sure if we are closing earlier in the week or not. Hope to see ya soon. Sheila

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Sheila, I hope to be over there soon, maybe tomorrow or early next week. I need some potting soil and short vining sweet potatoes and hope to try your new peppers.

Larry

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry if you decide to come on monday call before you come out. Everyone else will be gone and if I have to go to the hay field we will have to close for that day.Might be open that morning. 918-654-3482

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

OK, thanks, I wont come on Mon. I am free to come any time.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well Larry I can promise you I wont be in the hay field Monday. Too much water on the ground for that. We will definitely be open. Sheila

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Sheila, I hope to be by on Tue., I have Dr. appointment and will be driving through. If not Tue. it will be Wed. or Fri.. I hope you still have some bush sweet potatoes and Atris peppers. I am low on your special potting mix also. I will be starting seeds before you open next spring, so I like to keep it on hand.

Larry

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are there almost year round but we are in the back. We do mums in the fall so just drive around back. We will be back there in the mornings most days in the summer until 12 or so. Just too hot as the summer heats up. We would be glad to bag you some up anytime. You might call and make sure we have some made. If not it would give us time to make it and have it ready for ya. We sell mums off the mum pad in the back. If you buy mums you need to check them out. They are bushel basket size. We net them so they dont split. Not braggin just think they are one of the things we do well. We will raise about 8500 pots this year. I personally will haunt my kids if they put one on my grave when I die. After messing with them that much dont want them around me. sheila

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Mums and petunias...who was it who can't stand the smell of petunias?

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh man i love the smell of the petunias. I think heavens gonna smell like that for me. We plant a lot of them in baskets and my favorite place is in the basket house in the evening. The fans are on and you can even smell them outside. Ahh one of the perks of my job. Now if i could just raise them at home. gonna try the barbara bush petunias that i read about on here. hope they smell as good