Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Little black/red bugs

Two years ago these bugs were a problem, and now they have returned, and are everywhere. I think they are on their way to my neighbor's tree. Once they mature, I think they may fly, but I do not know what they are.

They are like little beetles. They are basically black with red. They travel in groups. Even though I do not believe in spraying, I have so many of them that I may change my mind. They headed for the house, and I put down ant bait. Maybe that discouraged them, I am not sure.

Since we are all in Oklahoma, can anyone identify them for me again? I just cannot remember what they are or how to get rid of them.

They last time I had them, they would coat a fence, and I would vacuum them, then step on them after I poured them in a bag. I cannot do that from the soil.

It seems like they may be a stage of squash bugs???

Thanks,
Sammy

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Wr really need some pictures, there are several species of insects that are red and black, especially when young. But your description of swarming makes me lean towards Boxelder bugs. Does you neighbor or do you have boxelder or other maples on your property?

I have a Trident Maple that has been infested with boxelder bugs for the first time this spring.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding, rhizo. I don't have access to the picture right now.

Sometimes I cannot stand the searches on the internet. Everything leads to products and companies.

I also found my question of a "couple of years ago" as in June 16, 2011. That is a little more than a couple. At that time "box elder" was what most seemed to say. However, these are round, not oblong.

I do think the consensus was box elder, and just do not let them in the house.

This year there are so many that I have become more concerned. They are all over the patio and porch. They are everywhere I try to dig. I am still reluctant to spray, except I sprayed Raid on the cement steps trying to stop them from coming into the house.

My neighbor's tree is a maple, so the answer may be box elder, but i see no images online that are of round bugs like I have. They are easy to kill on the concrete, and smear a little red.

I do not see legs, and they are not spiders.

Do any of you have them?

Sammy

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I googled "box elder round" for you. The images are hopefully below. Any of them look familiar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Boxelder

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lisa and rhizo.
    I looked all through the links, and have not seen the bugs. There are no round box elders even though the link indicates that there are. It seems as they matured they were grown box elders, so maybe I have a specific type.

Sammy

• MarsMars
    9 years ago

Just today a bunch of small black and red bugs showed up in my garden. After some searching I have identified mine, which may or may not be the same as your bugs? Based on the link below, the insect in my garden is the Mother Bug (Sehirus cinctus) and are in the nymphal stage (picture is half the way down the linked page: black with red posterior but with three black bars). It appears they feed mostly on things in the nettle and mint family, as well as lamb's ear. Possibly they were eating my henbit, which is pretty much gone and they are looking for their next meal. It does not sound like they do much damage to plants but they do have the tendency to swarm. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Bug Sehirus cinctus

This post was edited by MarsMars on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:08

• polyd
    9 years ago

could they be stink bugs? thats what I have. I thought they were odd lady bugs, but there are TONS of them, They look like red, black or red and black beetles depending on what stage they are in. then they turn into what looks like a shield bug.

Here is a link that might be useful: bugs

• Keyoka Reed
    2 years ago

Hi how can I get rid of these bugs

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert