Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Southwood - an enjoyable visit

I needed some plants, and had to go to Southwood in Tulsa yesterday. My husband offered to go with me, and had I not gone, he would have gone other places and purchase what he thought I would like for Mothers' Day.

My garden is still a mess. I think the drought last winter and spring, plus the freeze has hurt my garden more than I thought. I needed to select just the right plants for my yard.

Southwood was busy as I had expected, but there was a smiling person with a royal blue shirt everywhere I turned around. None indicated in anyway that they were busy or tired. They were extremely helpful. It was packed with people who were with spouses or children. Everyone was very happy. The general attitude of the entire nursery was one of excitement and happiness. Everyone seemed to know as I knew that it would be packed, yet moving carts through the aisles was pleasant, not a chore as it often is in a discount store.

It seems appropriate to give credit where it is due. On such a busy day the crowds and the products were great.

For me I was after phlox. I put about 12 in my basket before I saw a different size. The two in my garden are coming back, and were great last year. THe first ones were 3-4 feet, and I put them back when I saw the smaller ones that grew to about less than 3 feet. I want them to make the roses look pretty, not compete with them.

I also bought Mexican heather, different blue and red salvia, and red doc (am not sure of that name).

I also used Round Up throughout my yard yesterday, and need to work as much as possible today. I want a garden with beds of roses and paths of stone. I don't want grass, and there is a limit to the weeds I can pull - thus the Round Up.

Happy Mothers' Day! I especially wish those of you who are not mothers a Happy Mothers' Day.

Sammy

Comments (5)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Sammy. I visit South wood at least once a week. I have the same experience every time. All the people who work there are very nice! If you are lucky you'll run into Paul James. His show on HGTV was called the Gardening by the Yard. Its no longer on the air but fun to watch.

Mike

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

Hi Sammy

I went to TLC in Oklahoma City on Memorial yesterday. I got to pick out my birthday and Mothers Day presents.

I had the same experience there. My daughter bought just about the same amount of plants for herself, plus some worm castings.

Mike I have never run in to Paul James, while I was living in Tulsa, but I always enjoyed his show. Unfortunately I can't watch any such shows anymore, as I decided not to pay to watch TV. With an antenna you are quite limited, but overall it is totally worth it.

Happy Mothers Day to all.

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Happy Mothers day to everyone. I have enjoyed the morning brush hogging, now going out to eat with DW, took a cake up to Mom but she was still in bed. This looks like it will be a busy day.

Larry

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Oh, I wanted to go to TLC yesterday but I figured it was it was impossible to get into! Moni, our birthdays must be close.. I have a birthday gift card to spend :)

I went to Precure yesterday and picked up a few things. I was hoping to get pick up some milkweed (asclepias) but I didn't see any yet.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Sammy, It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Southwood. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Nurseries are few and far between here in southern OK, but we're going to one of my favorite nurseries down in Texas today. We spent Mother's Day (my choice of activity since it was Mother's Day) mowing, mulching, weeding, and harvesting the garden since heavy rain is in the forecast for today and I wanted to get ahead of it. Now the rain can fall all it wants and we'll be away shopping, with the knowledge all this week's yard and garden maintenance work is done.

I hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day, whether they are mothers or grandmothers, favorite aunts who are like a mother to their nieces and nephews, and anyone else who fills a motherly role in someone's life.

Lisa, Other than the milkweed we already have growing on our property, I haven't seen any this year....not in a single store and not even in nurseries. The green milkweed here is blooming and we have a pretty good Monarch population already, including some that are old and faded. Happy Birthday and enjoy spending your birthday gift card!

Larry, I have noticed that all your days are busy days. I don't think you know how to sit still. That's not a bad thing, either. Staying busy keeps us young.

Dawn

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz