Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxcrawler

Maybe good news...

wxcrawler
10 years ago

I am cautiously optimistic that next week's cold front will be much weaker. Looking at the latest models this morning, the coldest air gets bottled up in Canada, so we may only get a weak front that knocks the temps down a few degrees. If the latest model runs verify, nothing close to freezing would occur. YEA!!!!

Hopefully we are done with that kind of weather until October or November. We'll have one more cold night tonight. We should see clouds develop tonight to keep us a little warmer.

Lee

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thanks lee

I think we really dodged a bullet here in tulsa. The snow/sleet stayed north and east. The temps never got below freezing either. In fact we didnt even have any frost. Everything was covered or in the greenhouse.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Mike

• wxcrawler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Mike,

I had a few snow flurries mixed with the rain around 1:45pm yesterday at 11th St and 169. And I had pretty good sleet for about 10 minutes around 7:30 pm last night down in SE Tulsa. But we definitely dodged a bullet. Far northeast Oklahoma and NW Arkansas saw 1-3" of snow overnight.

Lee

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lee! I hope the models continue to show that cold air bottled up in Canada.

I hope we're done with the freezing and sub-freezing temperatures. Our mesonet station at Burneyville dropped briefly down to 28 degrees, but it only fell to 33 degrees at our house.

I'm going to leave everything covered up until tomorrow morning just to be safe since I'm in a low-lying microclimate with a history of sometimes going significantly lower than forecast.

Snow in May! Sounds crazy to me, but then my part of OK doesn't get much snow anyhow.

I appreciate your informative posts on the weather so much. Here in a climate like ours where the weather can change very quickly, we need all the help we can get at this time of year.

Dawn

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Weather here was cold but did not freeze. My little warm microclimate stayed at around 38 degrees. The only plant damage I had was to one that I had already considered dead. I even had a replacement plant from Dawn for it but it had started coming out from the root ball. It wasn't even the weather that killed it. The blanket that was over it came loose from it's tether and basically just beat it to death in the wind.

• shallot
    10 years ago

Lee, my plants and I cannot thank you enough for that news! I have been promising my peppers they could live outside 'soon' for weeks now... I guess I can finally plant them out this weekend. Hooray!

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

The inch of heavy wet snow we got overnight broke down the last two branches of the cherry tree that was over 3/4 destroyed in the ice storm of 09. It was full of cherries too and we hoped for one more crop. It got down to 32 here but didn't see any new frost damage.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I wouldn't cut it down, I would just let the rest grow and graft new branch to it. It would be worth a try.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I wouldn't cut it down, I would just let the rest grow and graft new branch to it. It would be worth a try.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Carol, the stub of the big tree that it once was is getting pretty rotten. I was surpised when it put out blooms and set fruit this year. It is a Montmorency and we have a young one that we planted in the fall of 09 in anticipation of losing this one and it bloomed this year and has some fruit on it. Then right next to this old one I planted a sweet cherry in 09 because there is a Stella sweet cherry in the next row. Which is the long story of why we will cut it down. We got an extra 3 years of fruit from it. We put up 12 qts of cherries each year, enough for one pie a month. (Of course when it was 30 ft tall we put up much much more than that.

• Macmex
    10 years ago

North of Tahlequah I could feel sleet last night, before bed. But we had no accumulation. There was no freeze at all. But over by Welling, there was an accumulation of slushy snow.

Lee, thanks for your expertise. This is great!

George

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Lee, it is so kind of you to post wx updates here. Everyone in my office is jealous of my "insider info" and have been asking me when they should plant! If we don't hear otherwise from you, my answer will be Saturday and Sunday.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Lee

I work at 11th and 169. back behind the Waffle house and mini storage. Small world.

Thanks for the reports.

Mike

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I should of known you would be 3 years ahead. Your woodland looks pretty as always.