Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Rain for all!

scottokla
9 years ago

It just looks more promising all the time.

I hope you guys out west don't get skipped over. Lots of great rain going on in the Texas panhandle already. Our rain chances on today's morning news show at least 40% chances for the next 7 days in Tulsa.

I would love to hear your rain totals over the next few days if you live west of I35.

Comments (30)

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

0.15 inches and it is still coming down. The radar promises even more. I am loving it.

Robert

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Wow, it is getting better and better!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

man it does look good for west OK. Hope it just sits there for awhile and fills all the pond, creeks and lakes up.

mike

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

6 tenths and still raining.

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

The radar looks great and so do the rainfall maps. It looks like the panhandle got some good rain (but needs lots more) and so have portions of western OK. People in Altus, Hobart and Mangum must be feeling some relief at this point with more than 2" each recorded at their Mesonet stations. Now, let's hope the rain soaks in instead of running off and causing flash flooding.

Scott, Our chances aren't as high as yours on most days---some days we only have a 20% chance, but later on our chances go up a bit more.

Totemwolf, Yay! If it keeps falling, maybe your year-to-date rainfall will double over the next couple of days.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Two-Day Rainfall Accumulation

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

1 and 3/4 inches and it has stopped for now. Looks like there is more on the way. The ditches are not running yet which means it is soaking in.

Robert

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Additional 9/10" last night through this morning. That makes 1 4/10" total. Whooppeeeee!

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

Just checked, and I have 1/3 of an inch. Glad to have it, but it doesn't make a dent in to what my yard needs, where I don't water. I am just barely west of I 35

Moni

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I am still waiting for my rain. I am barely west of I-35 too.

• elkwc
    9 years ago

G'morning to all. Hope everyone has received some of the nice beneficial rains. Scott I'm west of I 35 so guess I qualify. I haven't posted anything lately but do stop by and read a few posts at times. We were blessed Thursday night and yesterday morning. I emptied 1.3" out of the gauge yesterday morning and then another 1.05" when I got home at 2:30 yesterday afternoon. This is the highest total for 24 hours that I have had in at least 5-6 hours. And to have two rains back to back over an inch was almost a shock. LOL. They are saying we have several more good chances. At Leedey the rains varied a little like here. At my fiancee's house she has received 2.9" but other places drop down to around 1.5". She said one man only received tenths in the Thursday evening and night rains. It was the same here. It seems everyone has received some rain some not nearly as much. Most of this has fell real nice. Did have some high winds Thursday evening. Hope everyone avoids the bad stuff and gets plenty of rain. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Jay, That may be the largest rainfall totals I ever remember you posting here. If this keeps up, you may have to buy a boat.

We've had clouds. Does that count? I guess our rain down here hasn't been born yet, but we are eagerly anticipating its arrival.

Dawn

• elkwc
    9 years ago

Dawn I guess I was still asleep when I was typing. It should say the highest 24 hour total in 5-6 years. And I meant to say " she said one man only received six tenths in the Thursday evening and night rains. I covered a large area yesterday. Our totals were at the top. Most of the Guymon area had an inch to close to two. The Liberal area around an inch. My BIL had 1.3". Wish everyone had got more but sure a change to be at the top instead of the bottom of the rainfall amounts. I've found it funny on FB. Those who always post their totals and then want to know mine aren't posting anything this time. LOL. Dawn I hope your rain is on it's way. I had seen some storms move through down that way over the last 2-3 weeks so thought maybe you were getting some of it. Jay

• scottokla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys, I drove from Tulsa to Gallup, NM today and only saw the sun a few times, maybe 2 hours tops out of 14 hrs driving. Unheard of to have clouds all the way from OKC to Gallup.

Standing scattered water from near Texas/OK border to 100 miles into NM. Wow. The mesonet shows none at my place yet. Best chances still to come I hope!

Congrats Jay and you other guys out west.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Jay, Is it scary that I knew exactly what you meant the first time? Tomato minds think alike you know. I was wondering if your sister got good rainfall near Guymon, so it sounds like she did.

We did get some rainfall in May. I think we had 0.7" one week and 0.8" another week, giving us about 6" for the year-to-date. We were green, mostly, in April and the first half of May, but the fields have dried out badly in last week's non-stop winds. So far, January-May of 2014 has been the driest Jan-May since we moved here, even drier than 2003, which was a year in which we had 6.66" of rainfall through the end of May, and less than 19" for the whole year. Our average rainfall through the end of May would be just under 16" and for the whole year would be 38-42". I expect the rain is finally, finally, finally about to get here today or tomorrow, and it should save us from being drier for Jan-May 2014 than Jan-May 2003. It had better.

Scott, Thanks for the report on what you're seeing. I can only imagine how happy everyone is to have standing water for once. It is so much prettier than blowing dust. I've been watching your mesonet station as I watch mine, and I expect we'll both see our numbers go up between now and Wed. The QPF still looks good. Tim still doesn't want to hear about it. Usually, if we are going to have a QPF fail, by now the numbers would be falling, but they're holding steady, so I still have high hopes for rain to fall here in a decent amount.

Dawn

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

We have a total of just over 3 inches so far. It was so dry before the rain that it only seems like about an inch at most when you look at the runoff. The ground is soft but not soaked. You could use more.
    A bit more tonight and then a few dry days to let this soak in and give me a chance to catch up with the weeds and then we can get some more.

Robert

• wulfletons
    9 years ago

Sigh....so not quite all of us got rain, but it has been wonderful to hear tales of much needed rain in the western part of the state.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Krista, You're not alone. We haven't gotten any rain either. Right now, if you dropped a match in our grass, it would flame right up. I was counting on rain to change that, but it didn't happen.

Maybe one of these days it will rain again.I am happy for all who got the rain, but now I have to listen to Tim tell me how the QPF was wrong again, again, again....and, you know what? He is correct about that. For us it was totally wrong.

Dawn

• greenveggielover
    9 years ago

Dawn, I'm just a few miles up the road from you, and so very disappointed too. I was really counting on this rain to actually amount to something, and now it's pretty clear that it won't.
    My garden is small enough that I can keep it alive by watering it.... but the beautiful, beautiful native trees all around us are dying from the drought. And it's impossible to do anything to save them.
    Flis

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I is 2:30 am. ...I am watching the radar ....Dawn you should be able to roll your eyes at Tim in the morning. Definite rain ...and it looks like quite a bit is right on top of your house.

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

What happened? When I went to bed there was a huge yellow blob just edging over your area.

• quailhunter
    9 years ago

Had 4.3 inches at my house and may get a little bit more today. Ground is saturated.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Flis, It is the same here. We are losing even large, normally quite hardy native and well-adapted trees at an escalating rate. I just think we have had too many recurring drought years since 2005-06. We have 5 to 7 dead trees in our yard and dozens of them in our 10 acres of woodland north and west of the house.

Lisa, It is the same old thing that always happens. We end up in a dry slot and see rain all around us but missing us. We call it being in the doughnut hole. By Saturday, I had noticed a subtle shift in the rainfall pattern and knew we were in trouble. I tried to remain optimistic but in my heart I already knew we weren't going to get the amount of rain the QPF was showing for us.

Even at mid-day yesterday, the QPF still showed us getting multiple inches. Ha! We were so sure it was wrong that we poured concrete yesterday and had no concern whatsoever that heavy rainfall would prevent it from curing properly. I stayed awake watching the radar until almost 3 am. Not on purpose. It was just that I couldn't sleep. I doubt it helped to keep checking the radar and watching the main portion of that storm in Texas heading east instead of northeast.

We did get rain this morning. The back garden rain gauge shows 0.07" and the front garden rain gauge shows 0.09." Woo hoo. That means that so far, here at our house, we remain drier for Jan-May 2014 than any other Jan-May period since we moved here.

Quailhunter, That sounds so lovely----all that rain and totally saturated ground. We haven't had totally saturated ground, probably, since last May.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

The fat lady hasn't sang yet. Looks like a nasty storm you might get.

• MiaOKC
    9 years ago

Last night at about 7pm I had 1.5 inches in my rain gauge (since the rain started, what was that, Thursday?) It's rained off and on overnight and all day today, too, so I'm interested to see what we have when I get home. Hope some gets to those other parts of the state that need it, too!

• quailhunter
    9 years ago

It's great! My brother just northeast of me had about 5 inches. This was Saturday and Sunday combined. It's raining now. Yesterday we got 1.22 that fell over about three hours. The garden is definitely muddy. My pond got some much needed water back in it. Still a foot low, but I'll take it. Seems pretty spotty on this side of the state. Some folks did great, some totally missed out. Hope everyone on here got some much needed moisture.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

i need to get a rain gauge. Mesonet for Bixby says a little over 1 1/2 inches. It sure seems like it raised the pool that high so I bet its right. Drainage ditch beside us was flowing good and rinsing out all the crap that has accumulated for a couple years of no downpours.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Bon, Someone's been getting some good rain this afternoon, but not us. We got a little more, so our two rain gauges now show .12" and .13". We don't even have mud. Who knows? Maybe more will fall, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It just wasn't our turn this time.

You could stand in our yard and watch the clouds circling all around us, often with blue sky right over our heads. It would drive a person crazy if you think about it too much, so we got in the car and ran away to Denton, ate lunch out and went shopping. It didn't make it rain any more here, but at least we weren't just sitting around watching the rain pass us by. Our best hope for rain is that one of the severe thunderstorms that forms in Texas will cross the border and dump some rain on us, which probably isn't very likely.

Mike, You do need a gauge. Our rainfall is often very different from the rainfall recorded at our mesonet station---sometimes the difference is multiple inches in one 24-hour period. Even my rain gauges in the front garden and back garden can differ by 0.10 to 0.25".

All of y'all who got good rainfall----brace yourselves and prepare for the inevitable onslaught of mosquitoes. When we had less than an inch of rain a couple of weeks ago, we got a big hatch of mosquitoes a few days later and they were everywhere.

Dawn

• wulfletons
    9 years ago

I complained too early! Today was our lucky day (far NE Cleveland county)....one of our gauges says 1.1, one gauge says 1.5. We have mud! Hopefully this means that Paula got some good rain, too. I wish everyone had gotten good numbers, and I really hope that more rain moves in soon (and hits your place, Dawn!)

Krista

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Over here in Adair Co we had 1.6 inches since Saturday morn before it started raining this afternoon. I didn't get back out to check the gauge this evening. We weren't as dry as points further west and south. We seldom are. I am so glad to hear that so many of you who needed it got some.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I'm so glad for you wulfleton and mulberry. I'm so glad for everyone who got some and sad for those who didn't. I have my hopes up for the latter.