Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Psychic Ladybugs?

susanlynne48
10 years ago

I was out checking the milkweeds in the front bed today and there are quite a few Ladybugs (caught 2 mating). I haven't seen the typical oleander aphids yea so I am thinking they may know something I don't?!?

Susan

Comments (4)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

More likely they are eating something really tiny like mites that are practically invisible to the naked eye.

My garden has been full of ladybugs since early March, and I never find them eating anything, but they are all over everything in the garden, so clearly they are finding something to eat. I usually have lots of red spider mites blow in from the adjacent pastures in spring and haven't seen any mites yet, leading me to believe the ladybugs in our garden may be feasting on them.

Today I saw tons of lady bug larvae running around the garden, and you know that their mamas don't produce them until there is an adequate food supply available, so somewhere in the garden, there is something they are eating.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dawn! I usually don't see many until the milkweed is covered with the Orange oleander aphids. If anyone wants to attract ladybugs, or any beneficial that consumes aphids (green layering larvae, fort example), definitely should plant milkweeds to attract them.......plus the Monarchs!

Are you seeing more butterflies, Dawn? I have Black Swallowtails and Monarch eggs as of yesterday.

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Susan, We have tons of butterflies. Quite a few monarchs this week (native green milkweed in the pastures is blooming) and a lot of swallowtails (among other stuff I have parsley and fennel for them). Tons of those sulphurs in various sizes that I think we have so many of because we are so close to Texas. Buckeyes. Bordered patch. The brown and orange hairy caterpillars that look so peculiar have been around this week. I don't remember what they are but I have them near my potting shed every year. Lots of cabbage whites, unfortunately. White-lined sphinx. Buckeyes. Lots of the little tiny brown butterflies or moths that I have no idea of what they are. It is a great butterfly year and the verbena bonariensis just began blooming so it will get even better.

This is the best butterfly year down here in recent memory. 2011 and 2012 weren't so wonderful.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Verbena is blooming now, too. I planted dwarf snaps for the Buckeyes. I wish I saw more Bordered Patches. Have you seen Texas Crescents yet? My Flame Acanthus is waiting and hoping. And False Nettle and Hops are ready for Red Admirals. Tulip Tree and Wild Black Cherry want to see Tiger Swallowtails. My Amorpha fruticosa is blooming for the first time - very pretty. Wish I could see all your butterflies and moths!

Hope all your veggies and ornamental are okay after this storm!

Susan