Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

todays harvest

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

These cabbage are to be given away today. I had already taken an Early Girl tomato and Blues cabbage into the house. The cabbage are maturing faster than we can eat them, I have given away about 10 so far.

The Seminole pumpkin are looking much better, just like Dawn and George said they would. The peppers are starting to produce a little, I have harvested about 6 so far. The onions are doing good. I cant complain about much except critters and bugs.

Larry

Comments (8)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Wish I was close enough to beg for one of those chinese cabbage. I would make kimchi. I will plant some this fall though. I have frozen chinese cabbage and used it later in stew.

• bettycbowen
    10 years ago

Oh if there were one thing I wish I could grow that can seem to just "keep alive but not flourish"* it is Cabbage. Please tell me when you planted those beautiful things. Seeds or plants? Indoors or out, etc etc.

*onions, spinach, English peas...but no, no, mostly cabbage

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got back from taking a Chinese cabbage to my neighbor and returned with a seedless tomato plant. While looking for a place to plant it I noticed that it looks like two of my Boxcar willie tomatoes have a disease, I will post a picture and questions on another thread.

Betty, if my memory is correct I planted all Cole crop seeds Feb. 19 in the bathroom under shop lights, along with tomatoes and peppers. The onion seeds were started late Jan. The second planting of tomato seeds was planted 3-25. I dont remember when I planted my peas. I just planted 16 seeds whenever they were given to me, but they are doing well.

Dorothy, I wish we lived closer also. I would be glad to swap crops for knowledge on how to use and store them.

Larry

• helenh
    10 years ago

Years ago I made sauerkraut in a crock and canned it in a hot water bath canner. It wasn't that hard to do and kind of interesting. I haven't done it since. That Chinese cabbage is expensive in the store. There may be a way to blanch and freeze it.

Here is a link that might be useful: freezing cabbage

• Pamchesbay
    10 years ago

Hi Larry, Your cabbages look beautiful!!

How do you keep insects from consuming them? I've just about given up on growing cabbages in the spring. They do better here if planted in the fall - cooler temps and more important, insect population drops. Thankfully!

Pam

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, It is one major battle, especially with my Chinese cabbage, If you could see a close-up you would see much damage. I am still doing fair with the broccoli and regular cabbage, but I will get very little more from the lettuce and Chinese cabbage because of the heat and insects. Mine grow better in the fall also for the same reasons you mentioned.

Larry

• Pamchesbay
    10 years ago

Larry - I love harvest messages!

I didn't see any damage to the cabbages in your photos. I planted Napa cabbages early this year but the insects chewed them up so bad, I pulled them out.

I planted a new variety of Chinese cabbage and a new variety of Pak choy a couple of weeks ago. Both are supposed to grow in hot weather. Got the seed from Evergreen seeds. They are very fast growers - I think DTM is about 35.

I'm also growing Piricicaba broccoli, a variety that Dawn recommended. So far, so good. Just beginning to set small heads. Piricicaba was developed in Brazil to withstand hot temps. The leaves are edible and supposedly tasty. I'm skeptical but I'll try (almost) anything.

Take care,
    Pam

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, the cabbage in the picture are not too bad, but some of the plants will make you cry. I threw 2 away today.

I think you will like Piricicaba broccoli. I planted it for 2 seasons, along with Packman and one I cant remember.
    The Piricicaba, or the one I cant remember has very sweet stems, they are as good, or better than the fruit.

Larry

I may not be on the forum much for a while because my computer is down.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County