Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedbaize

Here comes the weather...

ReedBaize
10 years ago

Well, we've been warned of a slight risk of severe weather tonight. Chance for hail, etc. Gotta love Oklahoma.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
500 AM CDT WED MAY 8 2013

OKZ004>048-050>052-TXZ083>090-081700-
HARPER-WOODS-ALFALFA-GRANT-KAY-ELLIS-WOODWARD-MAJOR-GARFIELD-NOBLE-ROGER MILLS-DEWEY-CUSTER-BLAINE-KINGFISHER-LOGAN-PAYNE-BECKHAM-WASHITA-CADDO-CANADIAN-OKLAHOMA-LINCOLN-GRADY-MCCLAIN-CLEVELAND-POTTAWATOMIE-SEMINOLE-HUGHES-HARMON-GREER-KIOWA-JACKSON-TILLMAN-COMANCHE-STEPHENS-GARVIN-MURRAY-PONTOTOC-COAL-COTTON-JEFFERSON-CARTER-JOHNSTON-ATOKA-LOVE-MARSHALL-BRYAN-HARDEMAN-FOARD-WILBARGER-WICHITA-KNOX-BAYLOR-ARCHER-CLAY-
500 AM CDT WED MAY 8 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK COVERS NORTHERN...WESTERN...CENTRAL...AND SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA...AND WESTERN NORTH TEXAS.

DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT...
THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK...
THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WEST OF PONCA CITY...STILLWATER...NORMAN...AND ARDMORE. This includes the Oklahoma City metro area.

TIMING...4 PM TO 11 PM

IMPACTS...
THE MAIN HAZARDS WILL BE HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND DAMAGING
WIND GUSTS TO 75 MPH.

RECOMMENDED ACTIONS...
STORM SPOTTER GROUPS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL ALONG AND WEST OF I35 SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR SEVERE WEATHER OPERATIONS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

DISCUSSION...
SURFACE MOISTURE WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE DAY IN WESTERN AND CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. A HOT AFTERNOON WILL CONTRIBUTE TO INCREASING INSTABILITY ALONG A DRYLINE THAT IS EXPECTED TO BE ALIGNED NEAR THE TEXAS PANHANDLE-OKLAHOMA BORDER. LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE NEAR THE SURFACE LOW, EXPECTED IN THE NORTHEAST TEXAS PANHANDLE, MAY BE THE AREA WHERE THUNDERSTORMS FIRST DEVELOP. NORTHWEST OKLAHOMA WILL HAVE WIND SHEAR ADEQUATE FOR SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT. MODERATE
DEW POINT TEMPERATURE DEPRESSIONS AT THE SURFACE WILL FAVOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS, BUT THE INSTABILITY/SHEAR COMBINATION WILL ALSO SUPPORT LARGE HAIL. THERE IS A MINIMAL TORNADO RISK IN THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF OKLAHOMA WHERE LOW-LEVEL WIND SHEAR WILL BE GREATER THAN ELSEWHERE.

PROBABILITY TABLE...VALID THROUGH 700 AM CDT THURSDAY MAY 8.
PROBABILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS OCCURRING IN THE NWS NORMAN COUNTY WARNING AREA...100 PERCENT.
PROBABILITY OF SEVERE STORMS IF STORMS OCCUR...100 PERCENT.

This post was edited by ReedBaize on Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:57

Comments (10)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Here, in Stephens County, I've reached the point where I'll believe it when I see it. I'm watering my garden this evening. Every time I've waited on the forecasters to get it right, I've lost plants and seedlings.

The rest of you folks? Be careful out there. Locally? I haven't seen a drop of rain in well over a month.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Since you have already lost some to hail, why don't you put something over your smallest plants for insurance. I saw your photo and I don't know how you would protect the biggest plants.

• ReedBaize
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't cover at all the last time it hailed and, as a result, I lost several plants. I've got a rudimentary cover up hoping that this will help. My yard doesn't get a lot of wind with the privacy fence, etc. and this same set up has withstood winds in excess of 35 miles per hour when I was using it as a freeze protectant.

If you ever wanted to see what 200 clothes pins looks like, there it is.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

We've got our hail hats on here. Just hoping the wind doesn't knock the bricks off to shear off plants with flying buckets or falling bricks. Last year I caged at planting time and that helped the buckets stay in place when i needed to drop them on, but this year I thought I might need to be able to throw row covers on for freeze protection, so haven't put cages on yet.

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Well, we actually got a bit of rain out of it, this time. Over the last month and a half or so, we've either gotten a few sprinkles -very few- or nuthin' at all.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Reed you need to hit the yard sales for cheap sheets and quilts. That quilt on this end is too good to be out in the weather. I don't usually buy used bedding but last year when I had four dogs and two cats, I bought cheap sheets and afghans at yard sales for dog beds. I have used the sheets this spring.

• ReedBaize
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You'd never believe the story of that quilt, Helen. I was driving on US Hwy 281 and a truck in front of me was hauling some stuff as they were obviously moving. The quilt was being used to cover stuff and blew out from under the strap that was holding it down. I stopped and picked it up with the hope of finding them down the road to return it and ended up with a decent quilt.

As for hail damage, we escaped the brunt of the storm. They had 60-70 mph winds about 20 minutes south of here but it barely even rained here.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

We got .78 inch of mail and most of it fell in a 15 minute period. The thunder woke me around 5:30, and about 5:45 the rain hit EXTREMELY hard. Some of my tallest potato plants were just laid over on the ground but I suspect they will stand up again when the sun shines.

My remaining transplants were outside on a picnic table and I wanted to go bring them inside but there was too much thunder and lightening and the rain was unbelievable. They look pretty good except for the few that were still in soil blocks. I had moved the blacks from around them to plant yesterday so the blocks kind of flattened out from the heavy rain. About the time the heavy rain ended and turned to a lighter rain event, the weather radio went of for Springfield. We never did get an alert for Oklahoma.

Larry, my tomato transplants were just about perfect except for the ones in the cups. Even with spending a lot of their life under lights, they were the perfect color and very lush, and none of them were leggy. The ones in cups had some brown leaves, more space between branches, a lighter color, and few roots. They looked as good as a lot of the transplants I have seen in stores, but they didn't look nearly as good as their neighbors in pots that had lived under the same conditions. It was weird.

• helenh
    10 years ago

The weather radio woke me up and I got about half my plants in the hall before the rain and thunder about 6:00 am. I got .15 inch yesterday a nice slow rain and .6 this morning coming down in buckets. The tomato plants are fine just a little water logged. I am going to just stick some more in the mud today. This preparing each hole is taking too long.

I have not checked ones planted in the garden yet. I had row cover over some to shade them as they are not hardened off completely. I hope the wind didn't catch it and hurt the plants.

• ReedBaize
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Supposed to storm again and we didn't even get any rain. Well, the covers come of the plants this morning. Flowers are starting to show. I'm a bit excited.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida