Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Today's Severe Weather Risk-Friday, 5-31

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

The potential for severe weather remains high today, not only in Oklahoma and nearby states but over a fairly large area.

Please pay attention to the weather and heed warnings promptly.

The NWS has included the potential for "possibly violent tornadoes" in the forecast for today, especially for central through northeastern OK, y'all. This is not a day to go about your normal business and ignore the weather.

I've linked the webpage of the Norman weather forecast office. There are some great graphics showing the timing of today's storms so everyone will known when to expect storm initiation to begin in their area.

Y'all know the drill by now....potential for strong winds, damaging hail (a storm near Paul's Valley and Sulphur was reported to have dropped hail larger than softballs yesterday---I saw it described as DVD-sized hail in one report), heavy rain, flash flooding, etc. Please remain vigilant. Remember, too, that if you are working outside and can hear the thunder, then lightning is a risk and you need to go indoors. (This is a really hard 'rule' for me to follow when I am out in the garden, but I do.)

Dr.Forbes has given central and eastern OK have '6' for today, which I believe is the same TorCon value that central OK had on May 19.

Some of the factors that have kept this week's tornadoes from becoming big and violent likely will not be in place today, so that means that if tornadoes form, the potential exists for them to be worse than the ones we had yesterday, for example.

Please stay safe.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Norman NWS Webpage

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists