Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Israeli Agriculture and Oklahoma

Posted by AlyoshaK (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 10:03

Stumbled across this Noble Foundation article last night. "Israeli Agriculture and its promise for Oklahoma". Hoop houses, shade cloth, insect netting, and other topics will be of interest to the Oklahoma gardener. It's from 2009 so some of you may have already read it. It was written after a 10-day visit organized by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Israeli Agriculture and its Promise for Oklahoma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Israeli Agriculture and Oklahoma

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I somehow ended up on a uk polytunnel website after a few google searches that gave me the perfect template for the mini-tunnels ive been dreaming of building. Awesome!

o

Charles , I'm glad you linked this. I had read it on the Noble Foundation's website long ago. Their website is full of fascinating info although sometimes you have to hunt for it a while to find it. I think their website is the first time I ever saw plastic tunnels in use in OK horticulture/agriculture. It probably was from articles on their research with strawberry plasticulture.

There is a lot of agricultural research done in Israel that is of benefit to the rest of the hot, dry nations of the world. I am constantly amazed by how much they have done, agriculturally, in a climate that is not ideal.

Dawn

o

The article immediately reminded me of something posted by someone on this forum, soonergrandmom, I think, that from her experience in the last years things are trending such that gardening under covers will become necessary eventually.

Dawn, what did you think of the part about growing fruit trees under covers?

Charles

o

Amunk, glad it helped!

o

I would be interested in reading the response(s) about undercover gardening.

o

Charles, I think it would be the ideal solution to living in OK.

Go to the Fruit/Orchard forum and search for Fruitnut's posts. He lives in west Texas at a high altitude and grows all kinds of fruit trees in containers in a greenhouse.

If we ever build a high-tunnel type greenhouse, it will be so we can grow fruit with a fighting chance of not losing it to late frosts. I only get a great tree fruit harvest one year out of three, a moderate harvest one year out of three, and no harvest one year out of three. Lately, the 'no harvest' has happened more than one year out of three, so Mother Nature owes me a great harvest for two years in a row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here