Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normansooner

Where to buy clove currant shrub?

normansooner
16 years ago

Hello -- I'm Dorice from Norman as I'm sure you can tell by my user name. This year I'm really wanting to plant some clove currants (Ribes odoratum) but I don't want to order from a catalog. Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere, ever? Okie Dawn, I think you've said you have some in your 'yard'. I've been listening in for quite awhile and certainly enjoy you guys on this forum -- you sure know your gardening stuff.

Comments (10)

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Dorice, have you tried O'Higgins or a HD or Lowe's in Norman. There's also a really good nursery out on I-35 at the Goldsby exit, called Marcum's. You could call them and see if they are carrying them.

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Hi Dorice,

I got mine many years ago at the annual Native Plant Sale at the Heard Natural Science Museum in McKinney, Texas. I bought it in 1999 or 2000.

If you don't find it in the typical nursery, you might want to try a nursery that specializes in native plants.

I just love mine. When it is blooming it scents the whole yard. I hope you are able to find one.

Dawn

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if they would grow in Z6. They sound like something i would want.
    Hope you don't mind me dropping in on you neighbors. You are welcome to drop in on Ozarks forum anytime.
    vickie

• littledog
    16 years ago

Oakleif, you're welcome to drop in anytime.
    Normansooner, the easiest way to get Clove Currant without going through mail order is to find someone with it growing in their yard, and ask if you can dig up a sucker. That's how I got mine, and I've since planted suckers of suckers in two different homes now. I'd offer you a one myself, but daughter's goats got them last year and took them down to the ground. They recovered, and even bloomed this spring, so you know they're survivors. they other name is Buffalo Currant; don't know if that means the Buffalo ate the berries, or the shrub,or if the fruits go well with buffalo meat. :^)

I know people do grow it in Norman; not in the fancy brick additions, but you can usually find some planted in those crowded neighborhoods of little single story frame houses that are probably 50 years old.

It's not something I would expect to see at any big box store, even if they have a really cool manager in the garden center who likes to try new things, because it's not common in "the trade". They can't sell what they can't find. I did see that Lowe's in Norman was carrying Arrowood Vibirnum, and Itea Henry's Garnet and Little Henry, if you're looking for other natives.

Good luck,

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Oaklief,

Clove currant is hardy to zone 4 and is native in many parts of the country, so I think it would grow just fine for you there in the Ozarks.

Mine is in unimproved sandy-clayey soil just outside my vegetable garden. It gets at least 8 hours of sun a day.

It is not necessarily the first plant to flower in the springtime, but it certainly is the most aromatic.

It suckers, so put it someplace where it has room to grow, or you can, of course, dig up the suckers and put them someplace else.

It is a very hardy plant. Once it is established, it is quite drought tolerant.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

I got my 'Little Henry' itea virginica years ago and Warren's in Midwest City. Too bad they went out of business and were purchased by O'Higgins. O'Higgins doesn't carry near the variety of plants, shrubs, and trees that Warren's did. I love my little itea because it grows in my partially shady backyard. Right now it is full of blooms.

Marilyn Stewart and her hubby, Ken, own Wild Things Nursery and they sell native plants at Farmer's Markets and other locations around the state. Here is the remainder of their schedule this year:

May 12, 2007*, Harn Homestead, Oklahoma City 10:00 - 3:00
    May 19, 2007, Norman Farmers Market 8:00 - 12:00
    May 26, 2007, Edmond Farmer's Market 8:00 - 1:00, 26 W. 1st.
    June 2, 2007*, Ponca City Herb Festival * 8:00 - 4:00, Cann Gardens -
    June 9 & 10, Audubon Garden Tour, Tulsa check with the Tulsa Audubon Society website for home locations and times.
    You can e-mail Marilyn and let her know you would like one (or more) of her ribes odoratum, and she will bring it with her to the market locations. Her e-mail address is wtnursery@yahoo.com. Her plants will be more reasonably priced than those at commercial nurseries, and are usually nicely grown. I have purchased plants from her before. They use no chemicals; everything is organically grown. I will attach her website information.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Things Nursery

• littledog
    16 years ago

I've been trying since this link was posted and I can't access Wild Things PDF catalog. I don't know if it's the %20's that show up in in the address or what, but it doesn't work for me. If someone is able to get through, could you post a direct link to that page? Many thanks.
    Melody

Here is a link that might be useful: should be the catalog, but won't come up...

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Melody, if you have Excel, you can pull up the Excel version, listed right below the PDF version. I attached a link to the PDF file, but try the Excel one, too.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF Version of Catalog

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Just wanted you to know that I purchased a clove currant at the sale yesterday out at Harn Homestead. They were $4 in a big ole quart pot. To me these look like 6" pots. They were on sale marked down from $7.

It was an "impulse" purchase, so I didn't know much about it. Things were so hectic there, I didn't have time to ask Ken or Marilyn much about any of the plants. They had so many newcomers to butterfly/wildlife gardening, that their time was pretty much compromised.

I looked it up on the net when I got home, and it seems in order to produce fruit, I need a male AND female. I have no idea which sex I purchased since people don't often know, until they are blooming, or whatever, which sex they have.

Dawn, or anyone else who knows, how will I know what I have so I can then purchase the one I don't?

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Susan,

I have no clue how to tell the male from the female ribes odoratum. Since I was purchasing the plant for the lovely scented flowers, I was not concerned about whether I had a male or female. When I see them being sold, the tag usually only has Ribes Odoratum, Clove Currant, on it and does not specify male or female. I don't know if it is possible to purchase this plant as either a labeled female or male, or if it is just the luck of the draw.

Dawn

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm