Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dulahey

Tips for Mailbox Flower Beds

dulahey
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out what to plant in the small flower beds on each side of my mailbox. Can anybody make recommendations? I'm really clueless when it comes to flowers. I've really only ever messed with vegetables.

I'd like it to be something that can be there in some shape or form year round. So I'm guessing some kind of evergreen like Lavender? Or perhaps even a native grass? If it's something that could stay around for 8-9 months, I could probably live with that too.

Each bed is roughly 1'x2'. One is on the north side of the mailbox and the other is on the south. So the south side is obviously going to get more sun than the other.

I would greatly prefer to have the same plant on both sides. And I have no idea if the small beds are like raised beds where the bottom can seep into the ground, or if they're basically containers.

This picture is several years old btw. That small juniper? plant is no longer there. It seems the previous owners had canons in there last year? but there is no sign of life so far.

This post was edited by Dulahey on Tue, May 7, 13 at 10:48

Comments (5)

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Dulahey, I'd think of the planter boxes as essentially a large pot that you want to plant with perennials since you probably don't want to redo every year. Presumably you'll be watering these. I would plant several items in each side, ones that are tolerant of both sun and partial sun, since you have two different exposures. I definitely agree there should be symmetry in the plantings.

I believe I've heard the rule of thumb when planting pots is to choose a Thriller, a Filler, and a Spiller. So a wow plant, a background plant, and a trailing plant. For your situation, here's what I'd think about doing...

Prairie look:
    Thriller: I'd think of something that will bloom all summer long, maybe may night salvia, or a coreopsis like moonbeam that you don't have to deadhead. Annuals would fulfill this requirement, too, but you'd need to plant every year.
    Filler: a perennial grass that will give form during the winter, my favorite is ponytails grass (aka mexican feather grass) or even a hardy rosemary that will stay green year round
    Spiller: golden moneywort is evergreen or semi-evergreen, depending on our weather, and has a nice lime color.

Cottage look:
    Thriller: maybe a climber that you train over the mailbox? several types of evergreen clematis or maybe carolina jessamine would be cool.
    Filler: dwarf nandina bush for year-round interest, or a small evergreen like a soft-touch holly or a dwarf boxwood
    Spiller: Creeping phlox has great spring flowers and is also semi-evergreen.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I've read a number of threads about planting near mailboxes. The number one advice I have seen is to be careful not to plant things there that would be a draw to bees or wasps. Your postman will not be too thrilled to have to dodge them.

How easy is it to water?

• dulahey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, there is a small drip irrigation point in each bed that's attached to the sprinkler system. But I'm not going to run that thing more than once a week during dry hot summer spells. (water bill is high as it is)

But, I can easily drag the hose down there and water it as needed. The house is only about 50' off the street and I keep a hose right there in the front flower bed.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

a boxwood on each side pruned to the shape of....well a box would look nice.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

I like the different sedums. They don't need much water, and will create a solid mat that keeps the weeds at bay.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus