Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Container Suggestions for Privacy Screening

MiaOKC
11 years ago

Happy Friday, everyone. Here's my latest gardening dilemma... We have a swimming pool in our new backyard, which is great. What isn't so great is that the swimming pool is surrounded by a sea of concrete, as our rear-load garage has a huge turnabout area that is adjacent to the swim area. The two oceans of concrete are divided by a 4 ft wrought iron safety fence. We are usually parking in the garage (miracle of miracles) except for days like today when I am using the garage as a paint studio for some furniture. Also, when we have people over this summer, I imagine the driveway turnabout will be filled with cars. Sooo...

I have purchased 6 large fiberglass pots to line the inside of the wrought iron fence. I want to visually break up the pool area from the driveway area and screen out the cars/concrete view. My pots are 24 inches tall about 24 inches across. I'm saving 182 oz bleach bottles we use to chlorinate the pool to fill some of the space in the pots to displace the huge amount of potting soil I will need. There is a void in the concrete now that has a small planting area with a Yaupon Holly that I'm trying to turn from a clipped mushroom into a freeform tree canopy.

So, my favorite part begins. What to plant in these pots? I'd toyed with the idea of going tropical, as I already bought two date palms in other pots around the pool, but I will not have the space to bring many more in to be protected in the winter. We have bamboo surrounding a large part of the yard, so I already have a semi-tropical thing going on. I think it will be best to either deal with annuals or a perennial that can survive the winter out there in the pots. I would prefer something about 3-4 ft tall and 3 ft wide, as that's where I need the bulk of the screening (2 ft pot plus 3 ft plant equals 5 ft of visual barrier). I have some purple fountain grass, and I love planting it even though it's annual here, but it will be August or September before it attains that size. And would it be too boring to have just a single item in the pots? Repetitive? What about some other kind of grass that would be perennial - would that survive the winter in the pot?

It doesn't necessarily need to be evergreen, but of course that would be a bonus. At least some kind of winter interest. I could even do a mixed planting, as I'm looking for somewhere to tuck a few herbs in closer to the house. (DH didn't take to my suggestion of planting tomatoes in them. I did try to sell it, though!)

Here's an old photo from when we first moved in - you can see the wrought iron fence and through it, the seller's old car. That's the area I'm trying to block.

Comments (8)

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I would probably consider four-o'clocks, for now. They grow fast and spread wide. I have some in a bed with a banana tree and I have never had to replant. I don't know if they re-seed or come back from roots, but I have only planted them once. I think canna looks nice with the tropical things also, but they grow more upright.

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe a mass quantity of cannas would work - I will have the pots squeezed together, shoulder-to-shoulder, so vertical would be OK as long as the canna bulbs would last the winter outside in the pots. I've never dug my in-ground cannas, but don't know how they would fare in the pots.

Just to the right of the fence, there is a bed filled with four-o-clocks already, so would lean towards the cannas for variety.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

You have a beautiful back yard. I think I would have gone for it also, even with the bamboo. LOL

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I would buy the biggest I can afford! Instant WOW, and privacy.

Herbs would be GREAT. I once had a rosemary about 4 foot wide, and 5 foot tall. But it took 3 years to attain that size.

Moni

• Julie717
    11 years ago

Something like Taro or Bananas grow fast if you want something tropical, and they would look good with cannas. They probably wouldn't last a winter outdoors (especially bananas), but they're usually fairly cheap. Or you could dig them out and put them in the garage for next year with the cannas.

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FYI, was hunting down and old thread and found this one and wanted to post a pic for everyone to see how it turned out. I did two kinds of cannas (from a great neighbor at an HOA plant swap) and one purple fountain grass in the first three pots, plus filled in with herbs like rosemary, basil, thyme and oregano. Mostly used the rosemary and basil this year, but it was nice to have them so close to the back door. The further away three pots got hibiscus and million bells and sweet potato vine. Overall, I loved the whole look, and putting them on a slow drip emitter system with a timer saved them this summer.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I plan to try and move the hibiscus to the garage for the winter and am vacillating as to taking the cannas in. I've overwintered them in the ground before (here in OKC) but never in a pot. Thoughts?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Mia, I think overwintering cannas in pots in central OK is iffy. Your success would vary from year to year depending on how cold it gets. Last winter they likely would have survived in pots, but the year before they would have frozen.

The general rule-of-thumb with any container plants is that they are considered to be growing one zone colder since they are above ground and subjected to outdoor air temperatures without the insulation of the ground all around them.

So, if you are in zone 7a in OKC, your cannas in containers would be overwintering outdoors in conditions the equivalent of zone 6a.

I also think whether they survive in a container is dependent on how the weather cools down. A long, slow gradual cool-down before freezing temperatures arrived would be better for them than going from warm weather to shockingly cold weather in a matter of a few days. With a long, slow cool-down the plants acclimate better to increasingly colder conditions over a prolonged period of time and seem to handle it better than going from hot to cold pretty suddenly.

Dawn

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    11 years ago

Your home and pool are very pretty. I hope you share the rest of your yard with us at some point. Well, perhaps you have and I just have not seen it. Thanks for the picture.
    Sammy