Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvncannin

Garden ramblings....

luvncannin
10 years ago

Hi everyone. This year has gotten off to such a late shaky start I wanted to check in and say what we have planted is coming along nicely. The peppers I put out way too early have recovered and I began trimming the shredded [from the wind] leaves off.
I removed the protective white tarp we had over "tomato alley" on the cloudy days we had last week and now the tomatoes and basil have taken off.
The purple potatoes are doing great and I found out this week most people around here didn't even put their potatoes in yet.
Maybe I am so far behind as I thought. I still have a few more things to get in the ground.
We closed on our new property this week so we have started planting over there too. 7 trees so far and will put in 20 more this fall. Also will put in the herb garden and peas there next week.
Yes I have officially been bitten by the garden bug.
Kim

Comments (4)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Kim, it all looks very nice. I love looking at the pictures. I am retired and dont get out a lot, so the pictures are a treat.

I hope the "Garden Bug" did not bite you too hard, although the bites are seldom fatal, they often leave you sore and sunburned.

I just finished my second pumpkin bed (except for planting and mulching). I also started a bed for tromboncino squash. It will be a big pain because it is in heavy Bermuda, and all I did was till and amend. I will re-do that one next year anyway.

I also put in a new bed for ornamental sweet potatoes yesterday ( I also stuck 6 squash plants in it). My son gave me some plants he did not have room for, I felt they needed a home.

Larry

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry thank you . I love looking at other peoples gardens too. I am sore and sunburned after 5 hours this morning but I really wanted to get the beds mulched as much as possible.
    I had to haul leaves from mothers in Denton since we don't have many here in the panhandle. They are between two cattle panels around the tomatoes so hopefully they will stay put.
    Last year I didn't mulch my whole garden and I paid for it in labor.
    Heres a picture of my potatoes. There are nasturtiums in there too.
    sorry its sideways :/
    kim

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to say this year is all from scratch but the soil is much better than what I worked with last year. I too keep trying to squeeze a few more this n that in the "bare" spots but my backyard is pretty small .
    I would love to grow a variety of squash and some pumpkins. maybe after the wedding I can focus on the new garden more. It will be 1/3 acre plus more if I want.
    kim

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Bitten by the garden bug? Yeah, that can be a bad one.

otoh, you'll always be constantly amazed by the beauty and magic of a garden, *any* garden, but especially yours.

The worst part of the affliction is the urge to plant things before the weather cools off ...or heats up... There's an 'ap' for that. Just learn what seeds and plants can be put into the ground during such times, and the urge is somewhat assuaged...until the next time...

The other problem is that friends and family members will want to play grasshooper to your ant. ...so plant extra of everything. Then, invite them to join you when you're pinching plants, picking bugs and turning over your garden. Along the way, you can teach them how to trade and barter for what they want. Such activity ensures that you never become socially isolated because of the gardening bug. (I do this under the 'if I gotta suffer, you gotta suffer,' school of thought.) In time, some of them will catch the gardening bug, as well, and you'll never, ever be alone, again. Always sharing seeds and techniques and even recipes. Well, you might be alone when it comes to weeding your garden, but other than that? A great social activity.

...and you'll always be constantly amazed by the magic and beauty of your garden.