Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

My favorite part of the rain so far...

Lisa_H OK
9 years ago

being able to pull up all the wild garlic weeds...

Comments (14)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I agree that moist ground does make it easier to pull weeds, not that I have any moist ground yet, but I do remember moist ground from some previous years. : )

Is your rain gauge overflowing yet?

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

it hasn't crossed our path, yet. seems odd to read about it, but have none. I cannot complain, tho. Most of the places in Oklahoma getting rain need it FAR worse than we do. I just wish Dawn were getting some.

I think we'll be getting some over the next week at some point.

• helenh
    9 years ago

I am thankful for a half inch but my ground is not really soft yet. I love to pull weeds in a light rain if there is no lightning. Sometimes I get soaked and have to change clothes. If I had neighbors who could see me they'd think I was crazy.

• TotemWolf
    9 years ago

Nothing like a muddy garden. I love hearing the squish under the mulch as I check the plants today.

Robert

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My gauges are NOT overflowing :( But we are getting good rain. I think we probably had an inch at least yesterday. My rain gauge was full of sprinkler water so I am not positive! but my ground was nicely soaked. I've had less than 1/2 an inch today, but the rain just ran me inside, so there might be more.

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I pulled a bunch of weeds this morning. It was a blessing to be able to do that! Between lack of rain and being so busy at work, I haven't really be able to do my gardening chores the way I need to.

My zuchetta is up!

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

It just finished raining. We received .000000001 of an inch. :D

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Oh yeah! It's pouring down!!

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I miss not having a "like" button on GW :) Yay Bon!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Listening to the "slurrrpppp" as I pulled my mud boots up from the very wet cow lot slush in the low areas in front of the gate when I went out to feed. I think DH said we got another 1-1/2" overnight. Sure glad my boots didn't have any holes in them.....

Dawn and CC (love your username!) have you gotten any rain yet?

Mary

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Now, if Dawn could get some rain, I'd be one happy Oklahoman. We're up to .40 in. and it's still raining.

I'll hafta shake the bugs out of my mud sloggers tomorrow! I'm half tempted to grab a flashlight and go plant some seed tonight. I haven't been able to keep the upper soil moist to germinate. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, too. At this point I'm actually having some faith in that.

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ran out and planted seeds twice today :) Got new seeds in the mail this afternoon, so I had to plant them, right?

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Of course!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Bon, I think it will get here eventually. I still am patiently waiting. If I get to the point that I am no longer patiently waiting, y'all will be the first to hear about it.

Lisa, Of course! I've planted a ton of seeds in the back garden (except for the places that are so dry and cracked that I still couldn't break up the soil) so that the rainfall will make them sprout and grow. With the clay edges of the garden that are too dry to use, I'm probably just going to put down cardboard, heap tons of hay on top and let the earthworms come work the soil there this year. The back garden is even further behind the front garden this year than it was last year, but it is lucky it is being planted at all in this drought. Without all the rain that is supposed to fall here over the next few days, I wouldn't have planted anything back there.

It does irritate me immensely that once I was able to break up the soil, it was filled with vole tunnels. Why is it the voles can tunnel through hard, compacted soil that the tiller just bounces off of?

I ordered seeds about 9 or 10 days ago so I'd have some specific things I wanted to add to the back garden, My order from Willhite arrived on Monday, and then my order from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange arrived either on Tuesday or Wednesday. I was worried they wouldn't make it before the rain got here but as it turned out, both seed orders beat the rain by a mile. I think I had ordered either Friday or Saturday of the previous week, so both companies shipped really quickly.

My favorite part of the rain is that it is falling where it is needed. I know it will get to us eventually, but even if a dry slot inexplicably develops in this huge rainy area and all the rain misses us, I'd still be thrilled for all the folks who got rain. I cannot complain. Well, I could, but it wouldn't do any good. We've already had rain twice in May and, while our May rainfall is far lower than our usual May rainfall, at least we have had some rain. I remain grateful for every drop that falls.

Dawn