Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

What blooms after daffodils?

tigerdawn
10 years ago

I'm on a quest to find perennials that bloom after daffodils and before the summer flowers like salvia and roses and daisies and such. Any ideas? I need them for sun and shade.

There are some iris in the sun bed but they were just moved last year so I've only got one that's blooming and it should open up in the next few days. I also have a white rose that's about to go crazy, probably next week. I have 1 little orange wallflower that is blooming but it doesn't really show up among all the other foliage.

I'll go take some pics and post them.

Comments (13)

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what it looks like when the daffodils are blooming. This is an older picture but it still looks similar.

• helenh
    10 years ago

This is candytuft. It doesn't do anything else blooms in spring.
    Click on the picture and you will see what is blooming here near NE OK in SW MO.

There are bulbs that will bloom later and violas planted last fall will look good this time of year. Ajuga is blooming. Heuchera has colored leaves. I may not have your climate.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Irises and peonies in my garden. I use peonies in partial sun, but I have seen them in full sun. Irises are blooming, peonies will be starting soon...if the freeze doesn't kill 'em. :)

I have a yellow/blue bulb iris that is beautiful. It is in full glory right now.

My Archduke Charles rose is fully blooming, but my other roses have a while to go yet.

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a candytuft in one bed. I'll have to get more!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I am not sure what kind of iris this is, but I remember it being a bulb vs. a tuber.

• helenh
    10 years ago

There are reseeding annuals that might fit in your plan. My poppies will be blooming soon. They look ratty after they bloom so I don't know if you'd want them out in front. Small shrubs spirea with lime leaves or deutzia dwarf type would look good. Oriental Poppies bloom in May.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nikko

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Lunaria is beautiful right now. Batchelor's Buttons are also blooming. Both selfseed. And what is left of my snowball bush is blooming now. The odd--maybe not so odd--thing about the cultivated snowball bush is that it partially died during the drought last summer even tho I watered it, while the wild snowball, also of the viburnam species with no supplemental water and in the edge of the woods, is also blooming with no apparent damage to the bush. Lilacs are also blooming right now. A few iris have bloomed with more to come. And the peonies are full of buds.

• greenacreslady
    10 years ago

My phlox has been in bloom for a couple of weeks now, salvia, columbine, and clematis are blooming, and the iris just opened up yesterday. Also the calibrachoa made it thru its second winter and is beginning to bloom. I thought it was supposed to be an annual but it's surviving these warm winters.

Suzie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm further south, so a little ahead of you in terms of what has bloomed already. After the daffodils finished, we had Dutch hyacinths in bloom and they were followed by Irises which then were followed within days by Dutch Iris. Also in bloom, though in a different area, we have woodland phlox, poppies, larkspur, chamomile, violas, sweet alyssum, French Hollyhocks, Graham Thomas rose (a little early this year), some no-name red climbing rose on the dog kennel fence, 'Pink Lemonade' honeysuckle and Laura Bush petunias in purple and pink. There's also tons of wildflowers in bloom, and right now the ones that are prettiest are the Texas Bluebonnets and Pink Evening Primrose.

The all looked great today so apparently freezing once a week doesn't bother any of them much.

Dawn

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Our daffs are many varieties so we have early, mid and late which pair with dark purple pansies planted in the previous fall - annuals of course - and last daff gave up last weekend after the hail storm. Went out to see what's blooming now:
    Tons of iris
    May night salvia
    A few smaller roses
    Dianthus
    An ornamental cabbage/kale that's set flower stalks but is too pretty to pull out!

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Some of the perennial Salvias do bloom before the others. You can find one or another type of salvia to bridge all growing seasons. The spring salvia include May Night as Mia mentions, also Purple Rain.

Dianthus, Bleeding Heart, Aquilegia or Columbines, Astilbes, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Mountain Bluets or Centauria montana 'Blue', when grown en masse, is a gorgeous blue, rare in the garden, Snapdragons, to add a few.

Susan

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

The Sweet Williams (dianthus) are very drought hardy in my garden and are also blooming now, tho not as much yet as the one in Mia's pic. I love them because there is so much variety in the bloom colors and patterns, from solids to variegated.