Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jc74801

Am I late for direct sowing in central OK?

Just a quick general question for you experienced Oklahoma gardeners. I am trying to get my seeds into the ground this week. I am wondering if mid-May is considered late for direct sowing these crops (I am in central Oklahoma):

Pole beans, pickling cukes, sweet corn, watermelon.

How about okra, is it early for okra seeds?

still learning, thanks for your input,
John

Comments (6)

• ScottOkieman
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

John,

I planted more okra and squash today, and replanted some cucumbers about three or four days ago. No I don't believe it's too late for beans, okra or cucumbers. It is about the right time for watermelons. I don't grow sweet corn, but I believe it is usually planted significantly earlier. I've attached a link to the Oklahoma Garden Planning Guide. It is a pdf.

This is one year planting a bit late might have been an asset. Bear in mind that the guide is based upon average years in Oklahoma. We've had a very late spring this year. We could have a very early summer. So...use the guide as a guide and not as something set in stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Garden Planning Guide

• JC (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, that's perfect. I printed the guide so I can tape it up in the garden shed.

So I'm a few weeks late. Maybe with the late spring all will be well :-)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

What Scott said.

Like everyone else, I feel like I'm behind, this year. We direct sow almost everything, except for bushes and trees.

I know for a fact that we got my snow peas in late last fall. We've still harvested a couple of messes of peas, with more to come.

This spring, it feels like we're getting *everything* in late. Our collard greens have only just sprouted. The watermelons have been up for about a week and a half. I'm going to replant one hill of melons with baby sweets.

We've only just planted the mustard greens and nine hills of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes store very well and can be used in place of potatoes, fried or mashed. Some people wait a bit longer, before they plant them. I get them in kinda early.

I'm thinking about squash and pumpkins and such, now, too...if we can find the room. We might plant more mustard greens. An acquaintance of ours really like them and doesn't have the room to plant a garden, herself.

Our lavender has only just sprouted, as well as some of the alyssum. The sage started to sprout a couple days ago. Still waiting on the chives and cilantro. If it gets a little too hot, too soon, we might lose a few plants, here and there, but we take a few chances along the way, too.

We kinda crowd things a bit, too. We've got a couple of melons started in a couple of our spring potato beds. By the time the taters come out, the melons will be taking over. Same with the sweet potatoes among the garlic and another in the green beans.

Whatever 'volunteers' came up from last year, we leave them alone and plant what we had planned for that bed this year. So, we end up with a couple of potatoes in the spinach, two or three garlic plants in the potatoes and lettuce seeds that were blown into the lavender, and things like that.

Rule of thumb: If it grows, you did it right. If it doesn't grow, remember what you did wrong and don't do that, again. So, if you aren't depending on the garden for all of your food, you've got plenty of room to experiment and play around a bit.

Keep in mind that we live in southern Oklahoma, now. iow, I think you've got some time, depending on what yoiu plant.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

It all comes down to how much you want to gamble. If it would greatly upset you to plant corn now and then not get any usable ears, then plant something instead of corn right now and wait and sow your corn seed on July 15th for a fall harvest.

The issue with corn planted late is that often, by the time it begins to tassel, the temperatures are too hot, the kernels don't get fertilized and you get pretty much naked cobs with undeveloped kernels not fit to eat. That has been an issue the last two summers because we have gotten so hot so early. It is more of an issue with sweet corn than with field corn, dent corn or popcorn. If I was sowing corn this late, I'd chose a field corn variety to plant now, and would save the sweet corn for a fall harvest.

With everything else, I don't think it is too late to plant. With pole beans, you often get blossom drop once the heat sets in, but if you can keep the plants alive all summer, they'll produce in fall. I got my beans in late, but have plenty of seeds so if they don't produce well, I'll plant more for fall.

A lot of us have put in at least part of our gardens late because of the weather this spring, and for the most part, we'll still get a harvest though that could change if the heat gets really bad really early.

This week I have been trying to finish up the spring planting and have planted winter squash, more summer squash, pole beans, watermelons, more cucumbers, Armenian cucumbers (which technically are melons, not cukes) sweet potatoes, more okra, and lots and lots of warm-season herbs and flowers. I also planted ground cherries and garden huckleberries from transplants, but not from seed. I expect all of them will produce well as long as the weather halfway cooperates, so I certainly don't think it is too late for you to plant.

I generally intercrop and succession sow all summer long so in that sense, it never is too late to plant. It is just that you want to time your later plantings so that they are producing when the temperatures are in the right range for them. Because nothing is guaranteed in gardening, you merely increase your chances of getting the best harvest if you plant as close as possible to the OSU-recommended planting dates. What I have learned, though, is that you['ll generally get some sort of crop no matter how late you plant. The extreme, unprecedented heat in 2011 made it hard to get a good yield even from crops that were planted on time, but that is sort of the exception to the rule. Even though last summer was hot and dry, it wasn't as hot as 2012 and most of us had great yields whether we planted early, on-time, or late.

The worst thing that will happen is that you'll plant and won't get the harvest you were hoping for. In that case, then, you chalk it up to "lessons learned" and plant again at the right time for a fall harvest. I've linked the fall garden planning guide below. It has the OSU-recommended dates to plant in order to obtain a fall harvest.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Gardening Fact Sheet from OSU

• JC (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very interesting! I wouldn't mind a fall harvest of corn.

If I were to try the sweet corn now do you think I would know by July 15th if it was a success or fail? Then, if it was a fail, I could yank them and plant again for fall.

• brad6622
    10 years ago

i planted my okra a week and half ago and they all popped up two days ago.... i think your good to go

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting