Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in the rain?

Posted by luvncannin 7a-panhandle tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 12:54

Oh my
well I left the bucket of seed packs in the rain Thursday night and they are all soaked. I just found them this morning.
Should I go ahead and plant them or could I wait another day or two?
They are amaranth, kale, swiss chard, cilantro, dill, beans, cucumbers.
I really wasn't going to plant all right now but since they have been soaking for over a day I have to don't I ?
kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in the rain?

I'd go ahead and plant. The odds are with that soaking, they're going to sprout pretty quickly so you might as well have them in the ground. For the ones on that list that are cool-season (cilantro, kale, and dill), I am hoping your soil temperatures aren't warm enough to impede germination. Swiss chard also is a cool-season crop, but at my house it grows equally well in the summer as long as it has moisture. With the kale, cilantro, and dill, every day counts so sow them and see what happens.

o

I got everything planted between rains. The dill was in a Ziploc so it wasn't wet but the rest was soaked and some was sprouting already. We will see what happens. Some of was mixed so I made a surprise garden. The cilantro was a slow to bolt variety so hopefully I can get some to freeze.
kim

o

My cilantro is in full flower right now, but with the rain and some cooler temperatures I think you still will get some cilantro but you'll likely have to watch it like a hawk because it bolts quite quickly in summer. Mine was a slow-to-bolt variety as well, but we have hit the 90s a lot, including one 98-degree day and quite a lot of 95-96 degree days, so the bolting was inevitable. I still have dill seedling volunteers popping up here and there and they are growing so fast in this weather they are about to catch up with the ones I deliberately grew from seed sown a couple of months ago. I wish our cool season weather would stay consistently cooler a little longer so the cool-season herbs could produce longer in spring, but at least we get a second chance with them in the fall.

I like surprise gardens. Part of my back garden is a surprise garden. I mixed together a lot of leftover seeds and scattered them in an area there just to see what will sprout and grow. I like surprises and would rather have stuff popping up that I chose to seed there, because if I leave bare ground, Mother Nature will give us pigweed, crabgrass and other undesirable plants in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here