Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

Strawberry runners are rooting!

wbonesteel
10 years ago

So...with more hope than good sense, I transplanted a couple of them into another bed. An interesting experiment, challenging time, hot weather and ol' Ma Nature to see if they'll grow or die off.

We planted approx. 40 crowns this spring. Most of them survived. We even had some strawberries. Tasty.

In one bed, the plants are sending runners all over the place. In aother, most of the plants are sending out runners, but not all...not yet, anyway. In the last bed, the plants seem to be putting down some deep roots and making sure that they are well established. No strawberries or runners, yet. They are otherwise healthy plants.

This fall, we'll transplant most of the rest of the runners into the other two tree beds. If there are enough of the rooted runners, we'll use the extras as border plants along the path in front of the house, in the rose and lavender bed.

Comments (6)

• Kohon
    10 years ago

Is this Garden Of Eden style?

• Kohon
    10 years ago

Is this Garden Of Eden style?

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All I know is that it's an early bearing variety.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

wbonesteeel, I'm glad they are rooting. I think they likely will make it through your summer as long as you're able to keep them watered. I lost mine in 2011 because I was gone day and night fighting wildfires for several weeks and apparently didn't water them enough, even though I thought I had. By the time you find out that you haven't watered them enough, it is too late.

Kohon, Do you mean "back to Eden" wood chip mulch style? If so, I don't think so. wbonesteel has amended his soil and does mulch it, but isn't doing the back to Eden method.

wbonesteel, you can Google to find and read about the 'back to Eden' wood mulch gardening method or to see videos about it. It has been discussed on this forum before, but I can't remember if that was before you joined the forum or after.

Dawn

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dawn. I had no idea what she was talking about. I thought it was a type of strawberry I knew nothing about. (I'm not an expert on strawberries. The wife wanted strawberries. We got some strawberries.)

As for the tree beds, where the strawberry runners are now located: compost, cotton burr, peat moss, composted manure, w/ the previous hardwood mulch mixed into it. Covered by new cypress mulch this year. All of that has been mixed to a depth of twelve to sixteen inches by hand.

As for organic methods? If they're cheaper, I use them. If the bugs are taking over -like they did with my taters and squash last year- I nuke them from orbit. I also use a bit of Miracle Grow now and then.

If the weeds are taking over my lawn, I use a cheap, generic Weed and Feed. Most weeds in most lawns can be kept under control by keeping the sod healthy and by proper mowing for the types of grass you'e got in your lawn. When they can't be kept under control: Weed and Feed and follow the instructions on the bag.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that I've done a quick bit of reading about the 'back to eden' thing...

When I 'refresh' the mulch, I try not to disturb the semi-composted mulch in the lower layers any more than I have to, as long as I can maintain a two to three inch layer of fresh mulch when I'm finished. Any of the old mulch that is removed will go on the compost heap. But, we'll leave most of it right where it is: In the bed, where it belongs.

As much as possible, I let mulch compost 'in situ', as it were. Without disturbing tree roots or established plants, if the composted soil is becoming too dense, I will turn it over with a shovel and mix things in, as needed, and then re-cover it with additional mulch.

I use a mixture of means and methods, depending on a variety of factors - concentrating on and balancing the best methods to get the best results, on simplicity, efficiency and cost control.

Strawberries are one of permanent plantings in this garden. Seeing one of the permanent plants propagate like that? After two years of running around the front yard with a shovel and a piece of string, digging everything up? Oh, yeah! This was a big step forward.