Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy straw bales?

Posted by scolemann none (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 12:59

Hi all,

I live in Stillwater and am trying to find somewhere to buy straw bales, which is apparently hard to find this time of year.

I tried AtWoods, the milling company, and looking in shop and swap and craigslist, but no luck.

Any Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy straw bales?

Try local feed and seed stores that are not part of a big chain. I have the best luck with those. This is sort of the wrong time of year to find straw though unless you're in an area where the wheat harvest has begun. At this time of year, that likely would be SW OK or southern OK. All I've seen at feed stores lately is some very pricey clean coastal bermuda hay for horses and sometimes alfalfa hay.

If you want straw for mulch this early in the year, you may have to settle for some sort of hay, which can be problematic because it often contains weed seeds. I sometimes get around that by putting a double layer of cardboard or thick layers of newspaper underneath the hay. That keeps seeds in the hay from reaching the soil and sprouting.

If you have local horse stables, you might call and ask them if they use straw for bedding and, if they do, if they'll tell you their source as you wish to buy some clean straw for mulch. However, a lot of horse people buy bagged beddng at feed stores nowadays instead of buying bales of straw so they may not be able to help you.

Finally, you might try looking through the listings at the OK Hay Exchange website to see if anyone is offering baled wheat straw yet or keep watching for when it pops up there. I'll find it and link it below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hay Exchange

o

Post in craigslist that you are looking for rain or water damaged bales. This time of year good undamaged bales are impossible to find.
I got mine for free as they were the bottom layer of a stack and farmer couldnt sell them. He would have had to pull them out and burn them.

o

Post in craigslist that you are looking for rain or water damaged bales. This time of year good undamaged bales are impossible to find.
I got mine for free as they were the bottom layer of a stack and farmer couldnt sell them. He would have had to pull them out and burn them.

o

When I am faced with a problem like that I mow the lawn, let the grass dry a day or 2, then come back and windrow it, then come back and pick it up with our small grass catcher. I then place it on top of a thick layer of paper in the beds (thin layer of grass). It is not pretty, but it will hold me till I can find what I really want to place on top. I like a light color mulch but use what ever I can find for free.

o

I got my wheat straw at Circle E in Edmond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here