Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ihv2gratkids

Jerusalem Artichokes

ihv2gratkids
10 years ago

I recently found out that I am diabetic and have been searching for some new vegetables to add to my garden. I was reading about sun chokes (which I had never heard of until now) and they are supposed to be a good substitute for potatoes. Does anyone know where I could find tubers somewhere close to the Norman area. Any tips on how to grow these would also be great. I'd really like to give them a try.

This post was edited by Ihv2gratkids on Wed, May 8, 13 at 13:08

Comments (4)

• bettycbowen
    10 years ago

I have such success with sunchokes I have to keep them from taking over. I started with simply planting two tubers from the produce section of Whole Foods. I do not take care of them at all, i watered occasionally in the drought. They grow very tall, so keep that in mind. I can dig them pretty much year-round. I never dig them all, so they spread freely.

Cauliflower is often subbed to potatoes too. I have never grown it.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I wouldn't think of them as a sub for potato, but they are certainly easy to grow. I have grown them in a previous location and they stayed in one location and just spread a little. I have them here, and this Spring they are coming up five feet from where they were planted. I didn't dig them last year, and they did fall over a little in the Fall, so I guess they are coming up from seeds.

This statement is from the American Diabetes Association web page.

Quote: "Starchy foods are part of a healthy meal plan. What is important is the portion size. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. The key is portions. For most people with diabetes, having 3-4 servings of carbohydrate-containing foods per meal is about right. Whole grain starchy foods are also a good source of fiber, which helps keep your gut healthy." End of quote.

You will probably have a much greater spike from white pasta than you will from a potato. I was taught to include them in my diet.

• ihv2gratkids
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bettycbowen: Thanks for letting me know I can find the tubers at Whole Foods. I never thought to look there.

soonergrandmom: I do eat potatoes and probably too many of them...lol This is why I was looking for some vegetables I could sub on occasions for the starchy ones. I also read about some benefits of eating sunchokes and how it could possible help with diabetes.
    It stores starch as inulin a carbohydrate that is safe for diabetics and they are rich in prebiotics, good for the intestinal tract. Looks interesting enough to give it a try in the garden. Thanks for letting me know they may spread. I think I have found the perfect spot for them.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Yes, they can spread, IF some varmint doesn't tunnel under and eat EVERY single tuber as happened to us last year. We especially like them because they are so cool and crispy in the middle of the winter. We eat them raw, chopped into salad and slaw. They can be dug any time the ground isn't frozen after the first hard freeze. If dug before the first freeze they have a rather unpleasant turpentine flavor. Afterwards they are sweet. They can also be stored in a crisper for 2-3 weeks.