Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_lea60

Help - Asparagus beetles!

laura_lea60
16 years ago

Hello all! I need help here! Went out last evening with hubby to see snake in asparagus bed and noticed that my ferns were stripped! Actually covered with larvae and small spotted beetles. Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Hi Laura,

I assume that you have already identified the bugs as Spotted Asparagus Beetles and their larvae. If not, the beetles are reddish orange, with black antenna, undersides of thorax, and 6 black spots on each wing cover. The larvae are orange-yellow and have black legs and heads. Is that what you are seeing?

If not, maybe you are seeing the common asparagus beetles and their larvae. They are not as colorful as the spotted ones. The common aspagus beetles are about a quarter-inch long, have a bluish-black head, their legs and antenna have a greenish tinge to them, their thoraxes are reddish, and their wing covers have yellow patches. Their larvae are a very dark gray to olive green grub with blackish legs and head. In either case, the treatment or control is the same.

I don't know if you garden organically or if you use chemicals, so will give both options.

If you garden organically, you can do the following:

a) Hand pick the larve and beetles and drop them into a bucket of soapy water so they will drown. (The soap coats them and makes it harder for the adults to fly out.)

b) If you have chickens or guineas, turn them into the asparagus patch to eat the bugs.

c) If a spray is necessary, you can spray with a rotenone or a rotenone-pyrethrum spray.

d) Release lady bugs into the asparagus patch. The lady bugs and calchid wasps commonly prey upon asparagus beetles.
    Ground beetles may also prey upon the larvae when the are in or on the ground.

You might be seeing only larvae in the patch right now and the spotted beetles could be lady beetles preying upon them, so double check to be sure what you have. If lady beetles are already present, either in adult or larvae form, they will probably take care of the asparagus beetles for you.

If you prefer to garden with chemicals, you can apply any insecticide which is labeled to show it is effective on asparagus beetles. Sevin is one that is commonly used.

Your asparagus beetles overwinter in dead fronds and in other garden debris in and around the asparagus bed. To try to break their reproductive cycle, rake up and dispose of the old fronds and plant debris. Either bag it up in a trash bag and have it hauled away or burn the stuff. I wouldn't add it to a compost pile, because they are you turning your compost pile in to an asparagus beetle breeding pile.

Hope this info helps.

Dawn

• laura_lea60
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Dawn! I'm now sure they are spotted asparagus beetles. Today there is nothing left but tall sticks as ferns were destroyed in just days. I'm going straight from work to Precure for something to use. Have a great weekend! Laura

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

Hi Laura,

You are welcome and I hope you have a great weekend too.

It is amazing how quickly those darn asparagus beetles strip the plants. :(

Dawn

• wrichard
    15 years ago

Hi Laura,

Did you have success getting rid of the asparagus beetles?
    What worked for you?
    I have some asparagus beetles on my plants, but only a few. I sprayed lightly with neem oil, but I still find a bug or two on them each day along with many of those tiny eggs.

Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Asparabug Beetle and Eggs

• laura_lea60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Wendy,

I had success with Sevin spray and the pick & drown method. Best bet for me was to keep all early spears harvested while using pick & drown and then use sevin to battle beetles rest of season when ferns are active and growing. At that point you aren't worried about sevin on your dinner. I also will do a major clean out of the bed when fall arrives and destroy all foliage and old plant material.

In 3 years, they haven't lost my address.....

Good luck!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!