Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake

Posted by luvncannin 7a-panhandle tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 14:05

Well that was a rude spring welcome. I saw my first snake in a long time. I am so thankful I found him before he found me and before my grandson got here. I had just finished killing him when they pulled up. Now I have to see if there are more. He probably came from under the house. And I need to get my hoe sharpened.
They didn't waste any time waking up in the sun did they?
kim
P.S. I do not know what kind it was. my son asked me and all I could say was... dead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake

Before you go killing snakes, identify them, please.

Most snakes are harmless rodent eaters ... they keep pest numbers down.

Some hunt and kill poisonous snakes.

Only a few are actually dangerous.

o

I understand the urge to kill every snake you see, but have to agree with lazy. Twice in my life I have watched a speckled King Snake swallow a copperhead. Some snakes are definitely the good guys. Copperheads, rattlesnakes and water mocassins are the only poisonous snakes in our part of the country. Those we kill. And I know that Black "rat" snakes eat rats but they also eat so many baby birds--chickens, and whatever wildlings they can get to, that we kill them when they show up too. I once saw a Black snake 8 feet up the metal siding of a building heading for a phoebe nest under the eave and my father once removed a Black snake from inside a martin house set on a 20 ft tall smooth METAL pole. Their ability to climb is incredible.

o

Since I live on school property all snakes are killed .
on my own property off campus they are identified and relocated if necessary.

o

It's more of a proximity thing for me. Any snake within 50 yds of the house is toast. The rest are pretty much left alone.

o

I am pretty much a live and let live kind of guy and pretty much have the same view a Dorothy.

Night before last, Madge, looked at me and said "there is a lizard in there drinking out of Herc's bowl (our Yorkie). I told her "water is cheap, let him have all he wants" That was not the answer she was looking for. Now to put things in there proper prospective, If I wake up tonight and feel that lizard in bed with me, we will be doing laundry tomorrow.

o

Larry that is too funny. I am the same usually but with a 18 month old running around I am a little more on guard. If my son would have been available he could have put it out to the pasture.
One place I rented north of Shamrock had a 6' plus snake that kept away/ate bad snakes and rats. it was the only place in the area that was rat free.
He lived in the storm cellar and he was the only one in there when the tornados came. My son and I rode it out in the closet. live and let live , no snuggling...
kim

o

Larry - I too laughed out loud!!! I hope you know how many smiles you share with us here!?! That one was/is priceless.

Lucky Madge.

o

I hate to see what little native ecology we have left disturbed :(

I haven't seen a toad in years, I see very few tree frogs.

The only snakes I've seen in 3 years were garter and prairie kingsnake.

To me, this is sad....

o

I think the garter snakes and skinks with blue tails are as beautiful as butterflies.

o

I am with dbarron in that I hate to see natural wildlife killed without good reason. I don't understand why snakes need to be killed on school property. They eat mice and rats which have caused catastrophic deaths to humans from the diseases they carry.

o

It is a proximity thing with us too. We have 14.4 acres and the snakes can roam freely on about 12 or 13 of those acres. However, if there are venomous snakes in the yard, the garden, the driveway, the chicken coops and chicken runs, on the patio or near the detached garage, greenhouse and potting shed, those suckers are dead. We have a persistent problem with tons of rattlesnakes, particularly timber rattlers, copperheads and water moccasins, and don't tolerate them in areas occupied frequently by humans and pets. Any snake in our chicken house pretty much gets killed. We used to try to tolerate them but after repeatedly finding black rat snakes devouring even half-grown chickens and guinea keets, we started killing every single one that makes it into the chicken coop.

We need the snakes and would be overrun with rodents without them, but we will not tolerate venomous snakes in the part of the property we use. Twice our next door neighbors have had someone on their property (and I mean up near the house, not out in the back 40) bitten by a venomous snake, and I don't want for that to happen here.

Non-venomous snakes mostly are tolerated as long as they stay out of the chicken coops and chicken runs, but they'd better stay out of my potting shed. That's one place I won't tolerate any snake.

o

Is the easing of snake population in any way related to the increase of hantavirus infections in TX and AZ?

o

Venomous snakes are dead here too and big black snakes are relocated because I've had them act nasty when trying to run them off the porch when I had a bird's nest on top of the light. Salt and Pepper King snakes are prized. Ring neck snakes and garter snakes add to the garden as do skinks, box turtles, toads, frogs, hummingbirds, and songbirds. You don't have to be afraid to step out your door, but it is interesting to have harmless and beautiful creatures in your yard.

o

I was raised by a snake killing mother. My father and I tolerated many snakes growing up on the east coast. I remember if we ever found one (venomous or not). we would take it down to the river and release it before Mom got hold of it. I remember watching her hack a poor black snake into about 30 pieces one time, even as a young child, about 7, it made me so sad. I am glad that I adopted my fathers respect for nature. The most deadly thing you will ever have in your yard are mosquitoes and ticks.... kill them and let the snakes be :o(. If you are at a school this would be the perfect time to teach them the difference between venomous and non venomous snakes. Also teach children how to act if they ever spot a snake. The most often reason people are bitten is they don't see the well camouflaged snakes and step on them (usually the venomous ones) or they handle the snake (usually MEN!) haha!!! I worked as a PA in the ER and by far the most often bitten by venomous snakes were men, they just have to touch things!!!!! ;o) Educate those young men!

o

Last year I was pulling weeds next to a snake it was eating grasshoppers.
I own a 7 foot red tail boa and had a Massasaugua Rattler
I love snakes they kill the pest.
Tree

o

Last year I had a gravid copperhead under the cluster of tomatoes I was picking. I saw it as I focused on the tomato to pick. One time I thought to myself why is the brown hose uncoiling under my hosta leaf as I was reaching to pull a weed. I often have copperheads lying very still just outside my back door. They come there to eat cicadas when those insects emerge in early July. Copperheads are exactly the color of oak leaves and creek gravel. You can not easily see them. You can see them when they come in the back door and try to get traction on the tile in the hall. I don't go out in the field and hunt them down but they better not come in my yard where they are a danger to me and my pets. This one is from a few years ago in a yew about two feet up in it. The yew is planted next to my house. The next picture is from last year in my daylilies in the yard. The last picture shows a snake you should never kill because it will eat copperheads. This time it was a poor garter snake.  photo 007-1.jpgAugust 1 in my yard photo dirtydogandsnake014_zpsa1973515.jpg photo snakedoingitsjobanddaylilies009.jpg

o

Nice shots...and I always appreciate my kingsnakes. Like most anyone else, I wouldn't appreciate rattlers or copperheads on the front porch.

I just hate the attitude...snake...kill it. I grew up with it...(my parents).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here