Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

We had FROST...

mulberryknob
10 years ago

at 8 am this morning on top of the sheets that we covered stuff with. Glad we covered.

Comments (13)

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

No frost here but I did cover the warm season crops. Had to take off at noon to come home and uncover them.

Think i'll risk covering them again.

I did get a flash frost on my windshield when I wiped the dew off.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I covered my hostas and some other things. This morning I thought - I went to a lot of trouble and I don't see any damage. Then I found some dead volunteer tomato seedlings and rose moss that had started to come up. I did almost get a frost. My tomatoes came back in the house last night - what a chore. I have some in the ground under wall of water protectors.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

We got frost too, but I had covered up everything I thought would be susceptible to frost, so everything is fine. After I took the row covers off the plants, I laid them out on the ground so the frost could dry off before I folded them up and put them away.

Seven or eight cities in our region, includes ours, either set or tied cold temperature records for this date this morning.

In our garden, after I uncovered everything and put it away, I declared winter officially over. We're having spring out in the garden today and tomorrow, and then summer will start this weekend.

After seeing all the tornado damage and flood damage that has occurred this week, I am not going to complain about the weather for at least a week.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I did not even know there was a chance and we got pretty cold here, 38. One of these days I will get the hang of checking the weather. I do not do TV or radio so my mom is my only alert system. She must be slacking, LOL
    Kim

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We covered again, as the forecast for Tahlequah overnight is 35. Last night it was 38. I should have known it was coming. My Grandpa used to say, "If it thunders in February, it will frost in May." We had a thundersnow storm in February this year.

• helenh
    10 years ago

luvn Put this site in your favorites. You should put your town in the box. This place has historical weather which I find useful. It is best to check several sites because they don't all say exactly the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: one place to look

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Uggg, I'm so tired of covering up everything and dragging everything back inside! My kitchen is a jungle!
    {{gwi:1103341}}

Not to mention the covering/uncovering everything outside is tedious, to say the least. Not sure if I had frost because it never fails that the weather is only cold on the nights/mornings I have to work. I'm lucky to get home by noon to uncover everything, but it could be worse I guess. Dawn, you're right. I won't complain anymore. Oh and Thank you for declaring winter over! I'm ready!

Helen, great link, I saved it to bookmarks. That will come in handy. I'm obsessed with keeping track of the weather.

• TotemWolf
    10 years ago

It is cooler here today than it was yesterday. Still it is only 41 though.

Robert

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Being that Dawn has declared winter over, I am planting everything today. If I had a crystal ball I would have planted several days ago.

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Y'all have fun planting and enjoy spring---for what is left of today and tomorrow. Remember, summer arrives on Sunday. : )

Seriously, fire danger really ramps up this weekend so watch out, and remember that the same high-temperature, low-humidity, windy days that bring very high to extreme fire danger also are very rough on young plants. On those days, give your little baby plants extra-special attention. All week long the wind has been beating the tar out of my plants.

Robert, Our forecast was for 46, but we dropped to 40, which is about what I expected. Our mesonet station is NW of us and it recorded 36. I still think winter is over. It has to be because some places are likely to hit the 100s next week, and a lot of us will be in the 90s.

The cold held on so long and the heat is arriving early. It looks like a year without much of a spring for us.

I'm not complaining about the weather. I am complaining about the climate.

Dawn

• scottokla
    10 years ago

We got down to 31.4 on the 1st and again to 32 (can't remember the decimal) this morning. An actual low temperature below freezing in May. Wow.

On the 15th when we got down to 22, The pecan buds were killed in the bottom 40 to 50 feet of the trees, so only the very tops will have a regular crop of nuts this year. Most of the state and parts of Texas also lost the majority of their crop. It could be a tight year for pecans here in November.

Just one of those years.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

Thanks for that link Helen. I need to make it part of my routine to check the weather. I stay out of the loop and it drives my mom up the wall. She worked for FEMA over 20 years and is so aware of how weather turns on a dime. I will try to do better for my plants. I did not lose any but they were not very happy about that cold. Today they should really start to take off.
    yall have a great day planting
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Scott, May weather just isn't what it used to be. Welcome to my world of bizarre late freezes and frosts.

Sorry about the pecan crop.

Colder than expected here this morning-- 42 at our house and 37 at Burneyville. By Sunday or Monday, we'll be wishing for 42 degrees.

Kim, Weather awareness is so important but I'm sure your mom has told you that a few times . I can't even tell you how many times that being aware of the weather that was coming has allowed me to protect my plants from freezing cold, late frosts or even an approaching storm with a big hail core visible on the radar.

Dawn