Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wed.--Active Weather Thread-Post Updates Here

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 15:10

The NWS has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for over 50 counties in Oklahoma as lines of storms continue to develop and move across the state.

You can click on the link below to see the affected counties.

Let's all post any applicable updates here on this thread so we don't end up with 50 weather threads going for one day.

Hope everyone gets the good rain part without the severe wind, hail and tornado part.

Some of these storms that are moving up into OK from TX have a history of producing hail and high wind gusts in Texas, including confirmed winds of 70 mph in Tarrant County, TX.

Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wed. Weather--Here's The Link

Oops. The link didn't show up. Let's try it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webpage of Norman Weather Office

o
RE: Wed.--Active Weather Thread-Post Updates Here

Gee whiz, that sucker is full of hail. Will the storms never end this year.

o

We got just over an inch at our house when everything was said and done. Though, I was following the live updates on our page, and at one point it was measuring a rain rate of 4.76 in/hr. Something tells me that a lot of that 1" just ran off into the ditch. I heard about and saw pictures of some crazy street flooding in Norman, and my sister was nearly struck by lightning while standing outside for her work break. I was hoping to chase today, but there was plenty of excitement even without the tornadoes.

Maybe they'll upgrade us from severe drought to moderate drought now!

o

We had about 1.3" at our house, but had lots more thunder, lightning and wind than rain.

Our internet service went out first, then the satellite TV went out, so I watched our local CBS station which kept the live radar in the corner of the screen. Our rain came in recurring waves that rained only briefly but very hard.

I walked out and checked our big pond, which had managed to struggle back to about 50% of its' capacity over the last few weeks. It now is at about 75% capacity, so it picked up a lot of runoff from the brief, heavy downpours.

o

We got between 1.5 and 2 inches of very welcome rain, enough that there was lots of standing water in the low-lying areas. When I got home from work the neighbor's generator was running so I knew the power had been out, but it was back on by then. I'll have to delay the rest of the garden planting another couple of days while it dries out again, but I don't mind at all!

Miraje, I'm glad your sister is ok. I have a very healthy fear of lightning. One of the scariest experiences I ever had was getting caught in a lightning storm while hiking in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. We were up pretty high when it came on suddenly, and there was nowhere to go for shelter.

Suzie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here