Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

The "finished" product

momofsteelex3
10 years ago

I figured after all the advice I have come here looking for, the suggestions, tips..etc. Ya'll deserved to see what you helped me do! And for me to say Thank You!

This is standing from the back of the fence. I think I am done...unless I decide to plant something else last minute, or something doesn't make it. It needs more white fence, and mulched, but its as done as done gets.

We have already decided that next year, where the white little fencing is, we plan on putting in raised beds, and covering the walkway with mulch between the rocks. It was something that I wanted to do this year, but ran out of time and money. And hey, it wasn't built in a day right?

So thanks again!

Bre

Comments (5)

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this one is from the gate looking in. Ignore the weeding I need to do.

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Yeah. That looks good. Well done! When the mulch is installed? That'll look great.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bre,

It looks wonderful. Congrats on all the progress you've made. I hope you enjoy your garden and that it provides you with a bountiful harvest this year.

You know, a garden is never really finished and they evolve over time. This is our 15th year here and I have been very busy with two brand new areas this year (and it seems like I'll never get them finished and completely planted, but is isn't for lack of trying). I don't necessarily put in a lot of new gardening space each year, but after two rough drought years and with a big fenced garden that always is jam-packed, I needed more space in which to play in the dirt. I've got it now.

Since we have been here for so long now, I've been able to watch our landscape and garden evolve and change over time, and it is a fascinating process that never gets old.

Dawn

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks wbonesteel. The mulch will get installed when I can clean out the wheelbarrow of nearly 200 pounds of rocks. I just have to find something to do with them 1st that doesn't scream snake pit!

Dawn- Thanks! So far the tomatoes are rocking, and so is the corn...if I can keep it from being thieved by animals. I am hoping the sunflowers popping up on the outside of the fence will keep them interested instead of my corn!

I definitely use the term "finished" loosely. Especially given that I see "space" for other plants..And if something dies in the beginning stages, I don't think anything would stop me from sticking a replacement in there. I have kicked around the idea of moving my son's grape plant that needs babied along to a pot, and my daughters strawberries to hanging baskets and planting more tomatoes where I have their stuff now. LOL...I just can't stop. I am some kind of addict!

Its funny, bc my husband was helping me finish out the last leg, and he brought up something, and it led to us talking about either expanding out the garden we already have vs. building a 2nd one at the back of the property. We haven't even made it through one gardening season yet and he, the one who thinks I have lost my mind, is asking me about more!

Your right it is a fascinating process, and I can't see how playing in the dirt will ever get old!

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

My wife was the same way, Mom of Steel. She absolutely drug her heels on a lot of things wrt our garden. Now, when she walks the dogs, the neighbors are stopping telling her how beautiful it all is. Last year's harvest sealed the deal. Our spring flowers put the icing on the cake.

Plus, like your husband, now she keeps talking about what we should plant here or there and when. She's made some great suggestions, actually. Not to mention loving all of those fresh veggies.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living