Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why plant fall Tomatoes?

Posted by daleok z6/7oklahoma (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 15:12

Tomatoe plants set fruit in May, June and a little bit in July, but the summer heat stops the process. They set no fruit when the daytime heat exceeds 92f and 72f at night, as per OSU fact sheets and extension garden experts.
BUT, the plants don't die and they do begin to set fruit in September, when the weather cools down. Fruit may even be available into November or December, occasionally.
So why plant more tomato vines in June or July?

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why plant fall Tomatoes?

Dale,

You asked this question on another thread last night and I answere it there. I'll link that long, detailed answer on the other thread below.

The short answer is that heat, drought, pests and disease take a toll on the plants, and newer, fresher plants produce better in the fall than those that were carried through the summer.

Also, not every variety is as affected by the high temperatures, and there is a humidity link as well.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: The Other Thread Is Here

o

Maybe new plants will be more vigorous and productive than old plants that have been stressed out by disease, bugs and weather, I know it works for wives.

o

Bawahahahaahahahahaaha, Punkin head, you are hilarious. Too bad it doesn't work for husbands....

Thanks for the laugh, I really needed it!

So funny

E

o

• Posted by daleok z6/7oklahoma (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 11 at 18:50

Thanks Dawn,
You have given me lots to think about.

o

Dale, How many plants did you plant this Spring? Oodles, I'm sure.

I plant all I can find room for in Spring, eat hundreds, make salsa, use them up anyway I can. If I plant Fall tomatoes, I will likely plant a haf dozen just so I have fresh tomatoes to eat. By that time I am usually tired of processing them.

o

Last year was the first time I tried fall tomatoes. In the past my plants would last till fall. Last year my insect problem was so bad, plus it was so hot and dry that I finally pulled all my plants and burned them. I even burned some of the mulch hoping to kill some of the insects. My fall plant fell victim to insects also.

Also last year was the first time I have really tried to grow a fall garden. If my tomatoes fail this year I will concentrate on a Cole crop. I think that will be better use of my garden space. I will also try a cover crop again.

Larry

o

• Posted by daleok z6/7oklahoma (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 23:17

Dear Sooner,
I planted 14 tomatoe plants, 2 sets of onions, a set of leeks, 6 peppers, eggplant,basil,peas, herbs, plus annual flowers of zinnia, cosmos, impatiens, daiseys and others.
About 70 to 75 perennials take up most of the available space.My homesite is only 7800 sf, so not much room for anything else.
Dale

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here