Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

well, it's more than 17 drops in the rain gauge this time...

OklaMoni
9 years ago

and I am happy to report, I got almost 2 1/2 inches. About 2 one hundreds off, to claim 2 1/2 inches. :)

My yard seems happy. :)

Moni

Comments (14)

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh Good! That is about what I had, but I was afraid I had some sprinkler water in there too :)

I accidentally left my sprinkler on (low, fortunately) over night a couple of nights ago. My ground was so dry there was NO run off at the curb.

Lisa

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa, I had run off, and didn't have it on overnight.... my ground was so dry, it repelled the moisture at first. I am glad, I watered before this rain.

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

I had some run off across the lawn but I did not notice any running out of the flower beds or gardens.

I also took a picture of a bed I started a few days ago. I am trying to make my gardens and beds just high enough to drain, but low enough to not dry out too early. This is my lowest spot on my lawn and I still need to do a little work on this last bed.

I think we had around 2 inches, some of it came pretty fast.

Larry

• okievegan
    9 years ago

I think I got about thirty inches or so. Some plants got completely buried in mulch drift. I'm thinking about checking out a book on raft-building, to be ready for next time. Note....none of this is complaining....THANK YOU OKLAHOMA!!!

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

One and a half inches here and boy did we need it. I've been dragging a hose around and watering my young seedlings because they weren't getting enough water.

• Garylane
    9 years ago

Wish you could send some of it up here. lol We got .05 overnight and .28 just this evening here in Blackwell. That brings our total for the year to 2.12 inches of rain. It has been very dry as most of the rain has been south and east of us. Hoping for more tonight and will take what ever mother nature gives me.
    Gary

• farmgardener
    9 years ago

Oklahoma City north got 1 1/2 - 2"…..we are just north of that…we got 1/10".

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Oh I am so happy for y'all. I am looking forward to a nice spring rain.
    Moni I bet your plants are happy! nothing like a good rain to wash off the dust and dirt too.
    kim

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

As luvncannin said, I'm happy for all of you. Please send some of it this way. We'll take whatever we can get as we have received less than 1 3/4" for the year. Even a bird flying over and pe*ing is appreciated!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I'm happy for everyone who got rain, especially those of you who got lots of rain. Everyone sure needed it. Well, maybe Larry didn't need more rain, but he got it anyway.

We got a half-inch and have puddles, but by this time tomorrow the puddles will be gone and we'll be back to dry, cracked clay.

At least it is May and we can have reasonable expectations that more rain will fall this month. It had better fall or we'll be going into summer in really bad shape.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I'm with ya on that, Dawn. I wanted to get excited with my half inch. The forecast for more rain drops in its percentage constantly. Sunday shows a forecast of 50% chance. Likely, that will drop to 30 and, then 20.

Right now I'd rather see slight flooding even if it killed some veggies. I was thinking yesterday of the dead trees and when I mentally attempted to count how many trees have died in just the last 24 months I shut down and intentionally distracted myself.

I'm spending more and more time in the raised bed areas around the house. They get more attention, as usual, but I think it'll be the new limitation in the garden until we get more moisture.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Dawn, I needed the rain also, not as badly as some of the others. I have weird soil, it can go from too wet to too dry almost over night. I had cracks in my lawn and north garden.

I now have 8 areas to grow veggies in, ranging from the highest to the lowest spots on my lawn. The low area above is part of where I tilled a very shallow ditch about 200 feet across my lawn and dug a very shallow pool for the water to collect in, in hope to take advantage of the quick summer rains we sometimes have, that come too fast to soak in.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Bon, I keep trying to convince myself that our drought situation is not as dire as it seems, but...c'mon....who am I kidding? I know how bad it is.

I still haven't planted a single thing in the back garden. I want to. Truly I do. We didn't spend all that time breaking the ground and removing the existing vegetation and then fencing it all only to turn around and not use it. The plants we grew back there did great last year (except for the ones the voles ate), but that was largely because we had some good rainfall in the weeks after planting. I still had to water a lot in July and August. So, every day I think about planting something back there and then I waffle on whether to do it or not. So far I haven't planted anything. I feel like if I do plant back there, then I'll have to water. I don't want to water it. There's cracks in the ground about an inch wide in the non-gardening area surrounding it, so my head tells me not to plant the back garden unless we suddenly get a flood of rain.

I wouldn't mind heavy flooding as long as it didn't damage anyone's homes and didn't hurt anyone. I wouldn't even mind if my garden flooded because the plants that died would be sacrificed for the greater good.

I don't even want to think about dead trees either. We've removed a few and have more to remove, mostly native trees that were here when we bought the place. All the years of recurring drought got to them and killed them. We only try to take out the ones near the house. The dead trees out in the woodland are allowed to stand until they fall. Dead, standing trees can provide homes/shelter for wildlife, so we let them stay in there because we don't walk through there in snake season, making it less likely a tree will fall on our heads.

Ironically, since they are the last thing we need, new cedar trees keep springing up everywhere. They aren't allowed to stay.

The raised beds in the front garden are in great shape and, like your raised beds, that's my primary focus. I added tons of compost to all but a couple of those beds this year, so they retain moisture well and the plants are growing well in them. There's not enough room in them to grow everything I planned to grow in the back garden this year, but I'll just succession crop as much as possible and try to get the maximum production from them.

When Scott first mentioned this week's rain a few days before it arrived, I tried not to get my hopes up. Eventually, after watching the QPF predicted rainfall numbers go up, up and up, I started believing. That was stupid of me. We never get what the QPF says we will. I can remember two times that we've gotten more than it says for a specific time period, but generally we get a whole lot less, or even nothing at all. One of these days I'll learn to stop getting my hopes up.

I know how little rain we've received here this year, and I know how low it is in comparison to what we'd have in year-to-date rainfall in an average year. I just try not to dwell on those numbers because they are too depressing. Seeing them in black-and-white in our local, weekly newspaper just reminds me how bad it is, and when I saw the numbers today, I just cringed. These are the numbers from our local cooperative weather observer, whose place is just a couple of miles from ours....less as the crow flies. Our rainfall is often very close to his numbers. Year-to-date rainfall through May 6: 4.91". Average year-to-date rainfall through the end of May: 15.45". There is no way that we will get enough rain through the rest of May to get us anywhere near that 15.45". Even if he recorded a half-inch this week like we did, it doesn't help nearly enough, and our numbers in next week's paper will look almost as bad as this week's numbers. Our chances of rain for the next few days are very similar to yours, but it wouldn't surprise me if all the rain misses us as it so often does.

We used to have such lovely springs with lots of rainfall and often had good rain even throughout June. Even though drought was a regular feature most years in July and August, it was bearable. The last few years, though, the spring rainfall keeps falling short....really short. Normally, in the summer months, by the time we reach Severe on the Drought Monitor, I've stopped watering and called it a year. Here we are in May, normally one of our wettest months, and most of our county is in Severe Drought and has been for a while, and the western end is in Extreme Drought. You just kinda start wondering what the point of planting is if it is all going to die. I'd say that at least half the people I know here who usually have gardens have planted very little, or nothing at all, this year. I can't say that I blame them, but it makes me sad when we drive by an empty garden plot that usually is green and thriving.

My garden actually looks great, all things considered, but the amount of work, worry, irrigation, covering and uncovering of plants, etc. that it has taken to get there is ridiculous. Just keeping the garden alive to this point has been a full-time job. I'm stubborn, though, and don't give up easily, so I'll keep plugging along for a while.

Dawn

• cochiseinokc
    9 years ago

I drove out to check this morning because my neighbor said they might have had 3/8 of an inch - wrong. I got 1 inch in Lincoln County, and the taters and matos loved it.