Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Just so you know....

soonergrandmom
10 years ago

there really was a garden under all of those row covers.

I have uncovered everything. The sheets I used last week were still wet so I hung them over cattle panels this morning. It looked like I was trying to line dry my laundry in the garden. I couldn't wait for them to dry so I could put them away.....and then it started raining again.

Sorry it looks so untidy, but it has been hard to find time to work in the garden. It has either been covered, cold, or raining almost everyday I have been home.

I dug holes for 11 more tomato plants this morning, but the thunder drove me inside before I got them planted. I guess I will just crawl around in the mud and plant a few more. We didn't get much rain, but it is still going to be messy to work in.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-8-2013

Comments (4)

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

looks alot better then mine. i still dont have the maters and peppers planted.

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well you are seeing most of what is planted. LOL I have a bed of greens, Sugar Snap peas, four kinds of potatoes, asparagus, and a ton of onions. I have had 10 tomato plants in the ground since before the cold weather, and I added 11 more today plus a couple of flowers.

In the last few days I have been to Mansfield MO to Baker Creek, to LeFlore County OK, and over into Arkansas at Highway 40 and back up through Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Springdale, etc. I waved to several of you as I went by. I can't seem to stay at home long enough to get my garden planted.

I planted tomatoes today in the bright sun and the temp at 80 degrees, so some of them started to wilt really quickly. The ground was wet from an early morning rain so they should perk back up overnight. I didn't cage them, and put a row cover over them to cut the sun glare and the wind a little until they establish. I noted as I was planting that I really had a lot of small tomato types, but that may be a blessing since they are going in so late. They should set fruit a little better than the beefsteaks would. I haven't planted the determinate types yet. I will keep them apart from the others because I will probably take them out when their production slows. I also have to start counting tomato cages since I had hoped to keep a few of the larger ones to grow some pole beans on.

My garden is not huge, so a lot of the hot season things can't go in until the Spring things come out.

Another observation: I had tomato plants in pots, soil blocks, and styrofoam cups. and there was a huge difference in the quality of the transplants. The ones in the cups were not as healthy, not as full, and suffered weather damage while I was moving plants in and out, where the others thrived. The root system was not nearly as good in the cups either. I first thought it was due to them growing in a smaller amount of soil than the pots had, but they were not anywhere close to being root bound, and in fact, needed more roots. Even the ones in 2 inch soil blocks did better than the ones in the cups. I also noticed that they dried out much faster.

Dawn, I know you grow in cups and your look like trees, but mine were inferior.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Carol, I think everything looks nice.

My plant quality was a little low this year also. I think part of my problem was not being able to keep them in an outside shelter. I think they stayed potted up too long and did not have the air circulation they should have had. I had a few larger pots to place the plants and they did fine.

I went to Rogers Ar. yesterday to help a granddaughter plant a garden. I needed a few more tomato plants and found that quality plants were hard to find, even the places I use to think were top rated had ratty plants, I finally bought some at Walmart.

Larry

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Your garden is beautiful!!!