Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant resurrection!

Posted by okienurse none (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 15:52

I'm back to being a happy little vegetable gardner. I waited about a week for those cutworm/caterpillar ravaged plants to show some sign of life and went last week and bought some more tomatoes and peppers to replace them. Well low and behold, sometime over the weekend, all but two of them were resurrected!

I was too busy this weekend with the Prague Kolache Festival, and when I went out to plant the new plants yesterday evening, I almost couldn't tell which ones were the sticks just last week! Two of them were beyond hope and were still just sticks, along with the marigolds I had planted. But the others had all new leaves and growth on them...yay!! So I replaced the goners and donated the rest of the new plants to my mom for her to plant at her new house...:)

Another bit of great news...my first squash blossoms are opened up on my yellow squash plants...they are sooo pretty!!!

Sonya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant resurrection!

I think they only resurrected because you bought new plants. Sort of like how it never rains when you carry an umbrella;).

o

Everybody, please!! Leave your umbrella at home, hang clothes on the line, wash the car, wash the windows. We need rain so badly here.

And congrats on your resurrection. Plants are tough, aren't they?

o

Dorothy,

I hope you get some rain soon.

We need it here as well but there's no chance in our forecast for this week.

We just had rain last week--an inch and a quarter, and you cannot tell from looking at the ground that anything even fell. I think the ground is still really dry from last year because it is slurping up whatever rain falls. Despite the recent rainfall, our big pond remains empty, the little pond is down to a couple of inches of water and we have cracks in the ground in the pastures that have widened to about 3/4" wide. It is too early for this.

I am watching the morning news right now and our local weather forecaster keeps saying "no threat of rain" and I am thinking to myself that I wish we had a threat of rain.

I will give the rain credit for perking up the plants quite a bit immediately after it fell last week, but yesterday they were looking a little dry and unhappy again.

May usually is one of our wettest months here, but you sure can't say that this year.

Dawn

o

I'm thankful that we've had a decent amount of rainfall so far. Not horribly much, but enough to keep the gardens happy and everything green. The ponds around here are full, which is a stark comparison to last year.

Plants *are* tough....and so fun to watch...

o

This time last year we had floods; this year drought. Last good rain for us was midMarch. I don't like these showers of 2,3,&5,6 tenths

o

I like showers of any kind now. I am applying more mulch today, its oak shavings and I had rather have something else but anything should help insulate the ground. I may even try to haul some to try to compost for next year, I just can not get enough organic matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here