Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Moore OK Seek Shelter

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

Dr. Forbes describes this as a large violent storm with a robust circulation.

Shelter now, now, now. He expects a lot of damage and already sees a debris ball on radar.

Comments (9)

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

Ya'll I am watching the Tulsa news feed on this and its huge, please take shelter if you are in the path of this tornado.

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

http://www.kjrh.com/subindex/news/news_livestream1

If you are on your computer, this is a live feed. Its Tulsa weather, but they are working with OKC, and their news chopper to get us the feed.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are saying the Moore tornado now has dissipated.

Listen to local media and NWS broadcasts, texts or tweets to know when it is safe to leave your shelter.

On radar, that Moore storm still looks bad even though a tornado is not on the ground.

Images of damage are horrendous.....including smashed vehicles on the highway and debarked trees. They say the debris ball seen on the radar was 2.25 miles wide more or less, similar to what they saw in Tuscaloosa or Joplin. Dr. Forbes think some of that debris ball radar included rain wrapping so that the debris ball itself might have been a mile and a half wide. Horrendous damage visible from the air on the KFOR video streaming live on TWC.

Praying for the safety and health of all involved. We are seeing damage that looks like a war zone. I cannot describe it. KFOR says a school is badly damaged, south of 4th St and east of Santa Fe. I hope it had safe rooms. I see people on the ground...it may be a high school because they look like young adults. He didn't say which school. So sorry I cannot identify it....between 19th St and 4th street. Police are there. Surrounding homes leveled.

Not trying to frighten anyone but want yall to know what is going on if your power is out and maybe you can see this by cellphone or on a battery-operated laptop.

I see parents reuniting with tearful children at that school. All this is Moore. A second school looks more hard hit. Hope the kids were underground. Speechless. Now identifying it as Plaza Towers though not sure if that is the first or second school. Think I see safe rooms standing in each school.

KFOR TV people saying it looks very much like May 3, 1999 if that tells you anything.

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

Dawn- are you staying in Tx tonight, or coming back? That sounds nosy huh?

Tornado warning for southern Washington, Northern Tulsa Counties. Think north of Skiatook. With the rotation passing by Romana shortly. They just said a spotter reports tornado briefly touched the ground. Just for those who are up in that area.

The images from Moore are heartbreaking.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KFOR say emergency officials are asking people to stay away from damaged homes. At least one fire has broken out in debris. Looks like a damaged house on fire and roads are blocked so firetrucks will have a hard time reaching it Remember that gas leaks are dangerous in devastated neighborhoods.

Search and Rescue operations are being set up with a staging center near something they called the theater. Maybe the Warren Theater? Oakcrest Church of Christ open for shelter.

Oklahoma schools now releasing the children they were holding until the storms passed, so if this applies to you, your kids should be out of school and on their way home. Buses are supposed to run.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

I'm hearing an elementary school was hit and kids are trapped. Emergency crews are having trouble getting there cuz all the power lines in the way
    TREE

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

The pictures are just devastating. All the local channels are live streaming: KOCO, News9 and most likely KFOR.

Northside is fine.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I'm just sick watching the news. Terrible, terrible images. Phone lines are jammed, it's difficult to get connection to call out either land line or cell phones. I've texted some, but it seems like there might be a little delay in getting messages thru. We dismissed our employees at our office in downtown OKC around 2:30pm, and I headed north through horrible driving rain and scattered small/medium hail. In the midst of the looong, jammed, commute, I was wishing I'd stayed at the office. People pulled off on the highway, leaving the tails of their cars hanging out into the traffic lane, created a menace for people trying to get home. Several near misses and white knuckling it until I got home, where it was barely drizzling and sunny. Bizarre. Have been watching to the south. My co-worker who went home to Moore says that he's ok, he lives somewhere near Warren Theater but I'm not sure where. Haven't been able to get through to him for the last little bit, but he had confirmed before that he was ok. Heard from an acquaintance at our former employer that one person had their entire house leveled, but their wife and three sons are ok. The coverage is wall-to-wall, I hope things are better than they seem on tv.

Just saw from NewsOK: Southbound and northbound directions of I-35 will be shut down from I-240 in S. OKC to Indian Hills Road in Norman.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bre Oh, the fleeing to Texas was just me joking around. Went to the store, gas station, etc.We are closer to Gainesville,TX, than to Ardmore, OK, so do most of our shopping there. I was back home before too long. When I got home and logged on to the computer, the Moore storm already had begun.

I likely was better of at home. Across the river to our southwest, Texas had some dicey weather too. While we had 2 or 3 tornado warnings for our county (on storms that came here from Texas), as far as I know, the warned storms didn't touch down in our county...just sort of flew overhead and scared everyone.One of them had dropped hail with a 4"+ diameter before it got here but I don't remember if it dropped it in TX or OK. Rotation in the sky that doesn't touch down is really common here, and we had spotters reporting it in several places...and then after one reported it near Marietta, that last Tornado Warning went up. Some areas got heavy rain and hail. We had brief heavy rain and no hail that I heard. I heard that an outflow boundary wind gust of 62 mph was recorded from the last tornado warned cell we had, a storm that resulted in the last warning for parts of Love, Carter and Marshall counties. Other than hearing of some trees down, I'd say we have no damage worth mentioning. What a relief.

What happened here was absolutely inconsequential compared to the widespread devastation in Moore. I know that life is not fair, but truly, for them to be hit a second time since 1999? Unfair, unfair,unfair.

Mia, They showed some video of the traffic. It was crazy.

I cannot see all the news coverage down here that y'all have up there, but what I am seeing is just dismal and depressing.

Dawn