Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy Hitter okra

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 16:11

Is it planted thick enough?

A very kind Forum Member sent me some seed last year. I planted them and like them very well. I saved some pods in a plastic bag and left them on the back porch all winter. Not knowing if they would germinate, I just scratched out a groove in the garden one night and walked down the row shelling the pods. I then drug a rake over the groove and waited to see if any seeds would sprout. As you can see, I got them a little thick.

I know that it is a little late for planting okra, but if anyone wants any of these seed, just let me know. I have way too many.

Larry

P.S. yours may look a little straighter if you don't plant them in the dark.

photo DSCN1752_zps0e227a99.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy Hitter okra

Mine looks similar, although shorter rows. It's not too late. I've planted it in July before here in Phoenix.

o

Yours look a lot better than mine. I'm wishing I planted thicker...and later. Mine has suffered from cold soil, I think.

o

I just planted my seed in the back garden. Like Tracy, I've planted at mid-summer before too. It sprouts and grows so fast that it still has time to produce from a mid-summer sowing. I do have some volunteers in the front garden that came up a couple of weeks ago, but I may not leave them where they are because they're not in a good place.

And, who cares if the rows aren't straight? You're not being graded on the straightness of your okra rows.

o

Larry, I like your rows! They have character :) Glad you brought this up too, I'm planting a few seeds this weekend. Thought it was probably too late, but wanted to give it a shot anyway. Good to know its technically not too too late. I would like to know what variety everyone grows? Is the Clemson spineless the most commonly grown variety?
Alexis

o

I don't know that Clemson spineless is the most commonly grown. It might be, but that likely would be because it is the variety most commonly seen on seed racks.

I don't necessarily think that the variety matters all that much. Okra loves heat and we have plenty of heat, so every variety I've ever planted has done well for me. I like the green velvet types. The green velvet type I planted this year is from Willhite Seed and is called Emerald. I like the velvet types because their pods are smooth, not ridged, and they don't get woody as quickly as Clemson Spineless does. I always plant several different kinds of okra just for variety. I feel like I don't plant only one pepper variety or one tomato variety, so why plant only one okra? The others I planted this year are Cowhorn, Baby Bubba and Beck's Big Buck. Cowhorn okra stays tender a long time before the pods turn woody, Baby Bubba is a dwarf that produces heavily on plants that top out around 3-4', and Beck's Big Buck produces pods with a huge diameter.

It's not too late to plant pretty much any warm or hot-season crop. I plant something new almost every week, sowing succession crops to fill in spots left by the harvest of cool-season crops. In mid-June you can start planting fall crops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here