Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spinach Alternatives

Posted by jdlaugh Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 16:11

I'm trying a couple spinach alternatives this year, hoping they can survive into summer. We've had mixed success with regular spinach, which is typically long gone by the first of June.

This year I've planted Malabar Spinach and New Zealand Spinach. Of course, neither is actually spinach, but are said to be close in taste and texture. Anyone else tried these heat-loving alternatives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spinach Alternatives

I tried them both years ago. Got bad seed of the Malabar or would have had it last year. It's sorta like spinach. One of our favorite spinach subs is the weed lambsquarter, which self seeds all over our garden every year and we always leave one or two plants to make seed just so we can eat it. We also like Swiss Chard but I gave up trying to grow it here years ago because the blister beetles would find it and strip it in one night. But this year we've been eating it since Jan from an Oct planting in the greenhouse and althoug the lettuce and spinach planted in there at the same time has bolted, the SC is still putting on. And I also have a couple plants in the garden that came in a mesclun mix.

o
RE: Spinach Alternatives

I have grown Malabar Spinach, New Zealand Spinach as well as Purple Mountain Spinach. They grow and produce very well here in Oklahoma. If you provide some tellies they grow even faster. I have great success in planting cuttings from the left out stems from the Malabar spinach I buy from buy from Asian stores. I also tried with seeds, but slow to start. They are very frost tender, I plant them in Mid may and start harvesting from June to until frost light frost kills them. I am not happy with later one the mountain spinach, it will bold too early (few volunteers this spring are already bolting) and taste is also not that good. But they are good for ornamental as they looks fantastic dark pink or purple in color.

-Chandra

o
lambsquarter RE: Spinach Alternatives

Yes, I forgot to mention about the lambsquarter, it tastes better than other spinach alternatives. -Chandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here