Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

5/18/13 Tornado Watch--Western, Central OK

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

The Norman office of the NWS has issued a Tornado Watch for 38 Oklahoma counties. It is in effect through 11 p.m. The Oklahoma portion of the watch area starts at the western OK state line, goes as far east as Ponca City, Stillwater and Chandler, and does include the OKC metro area. Adjacent counties in TX and KS also are under a Tornado Watch.

You can click on the link below to see the affected area. The counties covered by the watch are highlighted in yellow on the county map at the bottom of the page.You can click on any county to get a page with its detailed forecast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wenpage of Norman Weather Office

Comments (4)

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Dawn, I see that we still have a relatively low chance for bad weather, and this is just precautionary. I guess the cap is holding okay for now?

• Erod1
    10 years ago

If im reading everything correctly, Tulsa and NE Okla will have risk of severe storms and possible tornadic activity on Sunday and into Monday??

Rhanks

Emma

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reed, Sorry I didn't respond earlier. After I posted, I went back outside and worked until dark.

The cap held for about as long as it could. It was inevitable that y'all were gonna get something once those storms starting popping up in western North Texas and moving your way. It was just a matter of how long it would take the storms to travel across SW OK and reach the OK metro area.

I am much more concerned about the OK weather tomorrow, not that this evening has been a picnic for anyone in the path of the storms.

For comparison's sake, Dr. Forbes gave central and NE OK a TorCon of 5 for today, and he currently has y'all at a 7 for tomorrow.

Even without tornadoes, there has been some baseball to softball sized hail in western OK.

OK likely will have some storms all night long. I just came in a few minutes ago and haven't had a chance to even look at the radar yet, but I can see that the storms are training, so someone might get enough rain for flash flooding, and it looks like the wind is pretty bad in some areas. NW OK has a high wind warning for winds up to 75 mph. Straight-line winds at 75 mph can flatten crops and bring down trees and power lines.

All of you in the path of the storms....I hope you are safe and get through the storms without damage.

On the bright side, who doesn't need the rain?

Dawn

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Dawn, as I said in the other thread, the storm bearing down on us has winds as high as 80 mph. I'm expecting to lose everything. I will not plant again if I lose them. Totally disheartening...