Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Earthquake warning

Well now that we have earthquake warnings we just need to get a volcano and some hurricanes and that will pretty much get it all.

Ill take everything else but this dang wind.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: earthquake warning USA today.

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 6, 14 at 16:38

Comments (14)

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

We've had a hurricane here. At least one. Well, this article calls it a tropical storm, but at the time they called it a land based hurricane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Storm Erin

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok cool. didnt know that.

Hurricane/tropical storms= check.

now where did I put that volcano, LOL

Mike

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I've read about this and each time I think about it I get very still. We'd lose everything under that magnitude. I fear many people would get hurt.

And it's all because of fracking. Eventually, we'll be able to light our tap faucets on fire.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago
  • okievegan
    9 years ago

You know those tiny houses? That's my plan for when my house gets leveled by Oklahoma...use the insurance (yes, I have earthquake insurance) and get one of those tiny houses on a trailer. I'd have more garden space and could hitch it up and drive elsewhere whenever Oklahoma is being moody.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Mike, Black Mesa originated as a lava flow from a volcano 65 miles away in Colorado, so we have volcanic rock. That's all the volcano we need, right?

Lisa beat me to breaking the news to you about Erin. A portion of our county also received tremendous rainfall from the remains of Hermine, but she didn't look impressive on radar like Erin did when she was over OK.

You forgot tsunamis. And, have we ever had an avalanche?

Why in the world do we think we can garden here? Between the weather, the climate and geological events, maybe we all just need to have our heads examined...and then take up a new hobby that doesn't require going outdoors.

If we lived in central OK, I believe we'd get earthquake insurance.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Mesa, OK

Original Author
    9 years ago

I learn something everyday on this forum. That's what makes it great thank you for the information. I didn't include tsunamis because I figured with our drought the lakes won't have enough water 2 even cause a ripple if we get an earthquake.

Mike

• wbonesteel
    9 years ago

Heh In my first profession as an adult, I was a hydraulics technician.

Anyone who thinks that any sized gas or diesel motor on earth can use hydraulics to crack the earth's crust and cause an earthquake is smoking something they oughta be sharing with the rest of us.

• osuengineer
    9 years ago

The fracking isn't causing the earthquakes. They think the waste water injection, a.k.a. saltwater disposal wells (SWD), are causing the earthquakes.

What I don't understand is how these injection wells differ from the SWDs that have been around for 50 or 60 years. For what it's worth, all kinds of fracking, including hydraulic fracturing, have been used for about the same time as well.

Dawn, I just read all about Black Mesa thanks to you! I've got to get out to there someday with the wife and kids. The in-laws don't live that far away.

• wbonesteel
    9 years ago

http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/pages/earthquakes/information.php

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/02/24/24greenwire-groundtruthing-academy-award-nominee-gasland-33228.html?pagewanted=all

I spend a lot of time on political stuff on other sites which focus on the various topics of the day. I'm a bit of an activist, that way, really. But it isn't very relaxing, generally speaking. It can be fun and enjoyable, but not relaxing.

I come to this site for the gardening. I don't come here for politics, religion or controversial topics....other than courteous discussions about the best time to plant things or what kind of compost is best and when.

You know, because gardening is relaxing and generally non-controversial.

The next part of this particular game, at best, involves competing 'experts' and such - meaning that the other guy hasn't got much of a leg to stand on, because if there's a lot of controversy - or even a little - among the experts and scientists, the issue is far from settled. If anyone says it is settled, when it isn't, they're trying to sell you something.

The other path such a discussion will take involves lame logic, silly syllogisms and angry analogies, when the burden of proof fallacy doesn't trump everything else. This step is then followed by ad homs, often sinking to childish version of name calling.

Examine both sides of an issue. Don't take anything the pundits and wonks say for granted. Don't believe the government. Don't believe your favorite politician. They're all trying to sell you something.

Do your own research.

Do your own thinking.

Y'all have fun! I'm outta here.

May your days be full of joy.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I don't do politics. Poor people have no say in politics. Because we don't understand how things work.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Mike, well let's hope we don't have a tsunami. If it ever rains enough to put significant water back in the lakes, I guess an earthquake could create some whitecaps on area lakes.

Okievegan, I love the tiny house idea. What a great way to get more gardening space. Still, I'm hoping an earthquake never destroys your home and garden.

OSUEngineer, Oklahoma has an amazingly diverse landscape. From the lush greenness of the Green Country ( most years ) in NE OK to the glorious beauty of the rugged Wichita Mountains in SW OK to the desert-like beauty of places like Black Mesa in NW OK----OK has it all.

When we talk about gardening and landscaping in OK, I think it is important to remember that some people live in areas where the natural terrain and climate make gardening a lot more challenging. I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to garden in northwestern OK, for example. In fact, it is pretty hard to garden anywhere in western OK most years.

When we moved to OK, I knew we would face all kinds of extreme weather challenges that would impact how we landscaped and gardened, and we have. Wildfires? Maybe I had a thought in the back of my mind that they could occur here----mostly from seeing those roadside signs that warn one not to drive through smoke on the highways. I never could have imagined wildfire would become a major issue here, but it has. Earthquakes? They were not something I expected here, not even in my wildest dreams. Drought? It seems so much more prolonged here than it was just 10-15 years ago.

Recurring drought? Check. Wildfires? Check. Earthquakes? Check. Oklahoma is the new California

Dawn

Original Author
    9 years ago

I really had no intention to spark any political debates and I really hope no one is offended. I see that kind of debate across GW and it makes me mad. I was just sharing information and trying make a little humor of it.

Dawn you got that right about the similarities to CA.

Hold on to your hats today!

Mike

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Mike

You didn't start. I did. Not a soul has offended me. I was being facetious. :D